80w90 vs 75w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been through several threads under the search, not too satisfied with results.

Anywho... is it safe to use 75w90 in place of 80w90? I read up about lots of people with complaints of a "whining" differential with the synthetics. My truck says 80w90, wouldn't mind having a synthetic in there, but I want nothing to do with it if there is a risk of a whining differential.

I just want to sort through all the heresy!

Thanks

Originally Posted By: kemo
Been through several threads under the search, not too satisfied with results.

Anywho... is it safe to use 75w90 in place of 80w90? I read up about lots of people with complaints of a "whining" differential with the synthetics. My truck says 80w90, wouldn't mind having a synthetic in there, but I want nothing to do with it if there is a risk of a whining differential.

I just want to sort through all the heresy!

Thanks

What truck? New Tacoma's with LSD have been known to whine when using syn 75w-90, even after the multiple tubes of friction modifier. But my Isuzu with LSD runs the same with 75w or 80w.

Originally Posted By: kemo
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
75w90 is synthetic where 80w90 is petroleum.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agl.aspx

Synthetic 80w90

Motor oil mad man was referring to off the shelf stuff, and he would be correct. Most 80-w90 is dino or blend.

Last edited:
I think Amsoil still makes 80W-90 just for guys who are leery of things like 75W and 0W oils. 80W-90 is pretty much obsolete, IMO. It is less expensive to manufacture though.

If you have differential whine that is quieted by a thicker fluid, then 80W-90 might be a good option. It will certainly be thicker than 75W-90 for most owners' operating conditions in moderate climates. You could also try 75W-110 for a thicker oil that performs better in the winter.

No problem with 75W-90 in my Toyota differentials that call for 80W-90. By the way, LSD additive is not for whining, it is for chattering. And, most differential oil already contains all the LSD additive they need, factory blended. A few might need part of a tube more.

I'm still extremely skeptical until a tribologist informs me that it is indeed safe. I might as well look into the synthetic 80w90 for now.

Did you check the application guide on the Amsoil site? I'd be surprised if 75W-90 and 75W-110 aren't among their recommended options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back