How long to coilpacks last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering how long coilpack last and what milage would you change them out?

Thanks

ditto here! Typically, coil packs break down due to insulation failures, which could mean moisture damage, high voltage breakdowns, cracks developed in plastic casings/body, etc.

When that happens, it's better to replace them in full set if you don't want unanticipated breakdowns (and subsequent calls to replace the remaining original coil pack(s)).

Q.

Normally coil packs last the life of the car. They don't have a scheduled maintenance interval. You'd only change them out if they break, get moisture in them or crack.

The vehicle in my autosignature with 333K+ miles still has the factory coilpacks on it. It varies and depends on the vehicle and how well you maintain it I guess. I'd say 200K easily.

Until they go bad, whether modern coil packs or old fashioned regular ignition coils. When I sold my 1966 Volvo in 1997, it had about 300,000 miles on it- and the original factory coil/armored cable/ignition key unit still worked just fine.

They last the life of the vehicle unless it's a VW. In that case, change them every three months or 3000 miles.

And if you are worried, carry a spare (or two) with you in the trunk. I do that with my van because those coils have history of suddenly dieing with no warning. With my car, I get at least 6 months to an year of warning before they really die. Honda Odyssey vs Nissan Maxima respectively.

- Vikas

My Integra's died suddenly while driving. It is unusual but it was enduring a leaking head gasket that fouled a couple spark plug along the way for a while, so probably the misfire or what not that wear out the coil.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OP handle is tangojetta, so answer accordingly.

LOL... I also own a Jetta. The coil packs are (were?) a known issue on this car. A few years back we were treated to free new CPs from the dealer. The car also has a perpetual P0170 code... nothing seems to fix it. It pops up every two weeks or so, and I have my daughter setup with a code reader to read it and clear it whenever it shows up. Seriously.

If your VW hasn't received it's free recall coil packs, I'd contact your dealer and ask about it.

A few have failed on 3.8 GM cars. Due to heat IIRC. that's rare though.
If you keep one of those for a long time, I'd try spacing them a little farther from the head/valve cover they sit on/above.

Under hood temperatures are pretty high on modern cars.

Under most conditions, with most vehicldes, and if they didn't come from AutoZone, a really long time.

Never replace electrical parts until they fail.
Some will last forever,while some replacements may burn up almost immediately.
No warranty on most electrical parts so..save your money.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
And if you are worried, carry a spare (or two) with you in the trunk. I do that with my van because those coils have history of suddenly dieing with no warning. With my car, I get at least 6 months to an year of warning before they really die. Honda Odyssey vs Nissan Maxima respectively.

- Vikas

That and an OBDII code reader. This way you'll be able to tell which cylinder is misfiring. On many cars, the entire repair would set you back only about 10 minutes.

That is a great idea. Unfortunately, I do carry a scanner in all my car but both of these vehicle do not give cylinder specific misfire code. There are other vehicles which will give you cylinder specific misfire code P030x where is "x" is the cylinder number.

And don't forget to carry the appropriate unfastener such as a 6 mm hex or 10 mm socket/wrench :) I bought and put a hex key set in the same coil box.

- Vikas

There is no set time to replace coils. However, they do fail. It is a problem for some vehicles more than others.

I think the biggest issue with coil failures falls to Ford. Failed coils is a huge issue on 99+ 5.4L Ford trucks and SUV's and it happens on the cars as well. My Brother had a 99 F350 w/ 5.4L and now has a 2006 F250 w/ 5.4L and both have had major coil issues. Just recently 4 of the coils went bad in a week span on his F250.

Do a search for failed Ford coils and sit back for a lot of reading.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back