Can-Am Roadster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the SAME Can-Am that makes 4 wheelers? If so they used to be Bombardier. Anybody know why they changed names?

I read a review where the rider complained of very instrusive stability control.

And of course if you see a pothole, you have to avoid it with three wheels.

There was a thing on the radio where I could stop by for a free test ride. Now I like free stuff, but then I might have been seen on one.
27.gif

Oh an as far a real Motorcyclists buying one, the Harley-Davidson crowd laughs at them from what my dad told me.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
Oh an as far a real Motorcyclists buying one, the Harley-Davidson crowd laughs at them from what my dad told me.

Right. As if buying an HD makes one a real motorcyclist.

Is this the SAME Can-Am that makes 4 wheelers? If so they used to be Bombardier. Anybody know why they changed names?

IIRC, Bombardier is the main company name. It's used for their aircraft divisions.

They also have sub-divisions:
Can-Am makes motorcycles and ATVs.
BRP makes Evinrude outboards.(and Johnson outboard parts).
Then there's Ski-Doo snowmobiles and similar vehicles.
May be other divisions I'm not familiar with.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Right. As if buying an HD makes one a real motorcyclist.

I know that if you buy an AMF era H-D it will make you into a real motorcycle mechanic. LOL

That was a real constructive addition to this thread. Sheesh.

The Can Am is a cool idea. MY MIL is nearly 70 and as a lifelong rider she is feeling a little less secure on her giant Yam cruiser.

This might be an excellent idea.

I took an extended demo tour on the Spyder last spring. I've been riding bikes for over 40 years. The Spyder is a very unique vehicle. I fought the thing for about the first 20 minutes of the ride. Bikes push right, go right, by making the front wheel fall off plane and begin an arc. The Spyder is more ATV style. You need to shift your hind end to the outside of the curve, and steer the thing into the corner. Once I got that, the whole ride began to click. It's a lot of fun. It presents itself very well in traffic, much more noticable than any bike. And it has gobs of torque. Burnouts are no problem, passing anything but maybe an F1 car is easy, and it is super comfy. Paddle shift automatic, AM/FM, GPS, cruise control, traction control and ABS. It would be my first choice if I had to go to 3 wheels.

BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) has picked up a great stable of brands including the excellent Austrian Rotax engines.

Spyder riders need a 3-wheel driving license in states that require them.

Originally Posted By: hal2626
Nothing says I am a financially embarassed real motorcyclist like riding a small,cheap Japanese cruiser......LOL

My point was: what gives the HD crowd the right to laugh at Can-Am drivers/riders?

Buying "a small,cheap Japanese cruiser" does not make one a real motorcyclist and neither does buying an HD. And neither one has the right to laugh at Can-Am riders. Everyone votes with their money... let them enjoy what they wish.

I think they make far more sense than the aftermarket add on 3 wheelers, how people don't kill themselves on those I don't know... I imagine the spyder can handle much like a snowmobile on hard trails which would be fun.

I wouldn't want one at this time, but I'm glad that they exist. I would be all over one of these if (knock on wood) I became incapable of operating a two-wheeler.

Don't see any reason to ridicule them at all
21.gif

The Can-Am engine is not the easiest to service for even basic maintenance. Just changing the oil and filter involves removing lots of tupperware. Their maintenance schedule is even more elaborate than BMW's.

My wife has a mint 2004 2500 miles and loaded up Harley Lowrider that she no longer rides. (It's for sale) She asked me about those Can Ams and I think they would be more stable than a conventional trike. She was thinking of trading the Dyna Lowrider in for one. Then I saw the $20k+ price and we decided no. They are neat looking, but I'll stick with my Softail until I "need" 3 wheels.

Good for the aging, novice, or disabled rider. I've heard the mileage on the Spyders is in the low 30s, which isn't good for a bike.

Originally Posted By: cbear
Good for the aging, novice, or disabled rider. I've heard the mileage on the Spyders is in the low 30s, which isn't good for a bike.

True, but I doubt anyone will buy a $20K toy with an intent to save money on gas.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back