What has been your best Fuel System Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use Gumout or whatever until my brother got me started on Techron. It worked pretty well, and I know it's popular.

Recently a 125K mile car of mine was idling rough.. I tried a bottle of techron.. it helped some... next month, problem's back. Thought I'd try something else.

Got some Justice Bros. Made the mistake of smelling it... that will KILL YOU! Poured it in. Actually got an extra 25 miles out of that tank, and it's run better since... with just straight gasoline. The improved mileage continues. JB's is the most succesful I've had.

What are your most sucessful fuel system cleaners?

I don't want to bash Techron.. I'm trying to track down some more JB to try in the other cars and see if I get the same result I did with the first one.

Justice Bros. customer support was really cool, I got an email back the next day. My local parts stores that once carried JB doesn't order it anymore, so I'm stuck hunting elsewhere to get the stuff. I've had good success with JB's products so far. I think there's a pretty good rep for their penetrating oil, and cleaner products. Jury is still out on the oil additives, as I figure it would be on this board.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
mongo161 : Is this a mix you use at every fill up ?

Yes Sir,

This is the mix I use at every fill up (50/50). I usually fill up with 12 to 14 gallons of gas so the rate of TC-W3 is 1 ounce for every 4-5 gallons of gas. I have premixed empty bottles from the Gumout/Regane concentrated fuel system cleaner, filled with 3 ounces of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of the fuel system cleaner,(Chevron Techron/Gumout Regane), ready to go into the tank.

In my gasoline autos--->6oz-12oz every fill up of MMO. Just before oil change I will add REGANE & SEAFOAM.
When I changed plugs in the wifes 04 Navi with 107K miles, the plugs were worn a bit but very clean... I can only hope the rest of the combustion chamber looks the same...

In my Diesel-->Totally different mix. Mainly Synthetic TC-W3.

I use an 11 oz. can of BG44 every 6 months or so and 3.2 ounces of tc-w3 every fillup. (I have a 3.2 ounce bottle which works out well for my 17 gallon tank and I get 10 fills in a quart of pennzoil semi-sythetic marine oil)
In the past I've used regane and techron, also.

Redline SI-1 all the way at 1 ounce per 10 gallons. A bottle will treat 120 gallons of fuel. Has the highest level of amines. If my stash gets low and I need something I like the Regane, but only the one that actually has PEA in it as some of the Regane's do not or at least they didn't used to.

Well, here are my thoughts. I use Gumout Regane, however Techron is still the only additive that has actually made a palpable difference in the way my engine feels. Smoother is probably the way to describe it. I don't really use fuel adds to change engine feel, but to keep things clean...so I've never payed much attention to it. But I have started stocking up on techron now with the various deals. I'm not all that keen on the Gumout bottle shrink, so once my stash of the older larger bottles is used up, I'll make the move to Techron full ime.

Redline SI-1 is a nice luxury item I'll get a couple times a year. I tried a long time ago to use it in a maintenance dose, but coming up with a clean solution to properly dispense the additive was always a pain. Then I sometimes forgot, etc...so its just easier for me to use a full bottle of cleaner the end of every other oil change.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Well, here are my thoughts. I use Gumout Regane, however Techron is still the only additive that has actually made a palpable difference in the way my engine feels. Smoother is probably the way to describe it. I don't really use fuel adds to change engine feel, but to keep things clean...so I've never payed much attention to it. But I have started stocking up on techron now with the various deals. I'm not all that keen on the Gumout bottle shrink, so once my stash of the older larger bottles is used up, I'll make the move to Techron full ime.

Redline SI-1 is a nice luxury item I'll get a couple times a year. I tried a long time ago to use it in a maintenance dose, but coming up with a clean solution to properly dispense the additive was always a pain. Then I sometimes forgot, etc...so its just easier for me to use a full bottle of cleaner the end of every other oil change.

Buy the SI-1 by the case from a place like Amazon, use a used Stabil 1 bottle to dispense one ounce at a time accurately.

WINNING!

Last edited:
It's interesting how some things make your drive feel better... or you have better acceleration. I'm a trip odometer junkie... monitoring how many miles out of each tank I get.... When I see under 300mi per tank, I know there's something wrong /w/ the car.. 315mi is normal. 335mi was what the car shot up to Post the JB treatment.

red line si-1 1oz./fillup and 1/2oz of fuel system water remover and antifreeze in with the si-1 to counter the ethanol affects to the engine....i don't use ethanol gas anymore but still use this mix

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Gumout REGANE has never let me down.

X2
thumbsup2.gif

gumout regane for several years has been my first choice, but I'm really liking the gumout regane high mileage formula lately.

I put a whole bottle of Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner in my tank every 150,000 miles. Ok, so I just got into these forums not too long ago and found a local shop selling the SI-1 and used it in my car that already had 150,000 miles on it...but still...:)

I did use the gumout with regane on my odyssey and it seems to have perked the mileage back up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back