Paint inside Wix Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys, I just bought a Wix 51515 filter from local parts store to use for my next oil change on the Caravan. 51515 is the equivalent of the Fl-1A filter. Anyways, on close inspection, when I look down the threaded hole with some light, I can see that there is some green paint splattered at the base of the filter. Like a couple of drops of green paint were dropped in there. Is this normal? I haven't noticed this before. Something to be worried about? I normally get the Carquest blue 85515 filter which is identical to the Wix (it's made by Wix), just relabeled Carquest, similar to the Napa Gold line. Haven't really noticed similar issue with the Carquest filter, but, then again, I didn't really look in there last time I used it. Guys, let me know if this is normal or if it might effect anything. Thanks.

Last edited:
It's not paint. It's an alcohol based ink we use to mark which machine the element was produced on. You might find red and UV green too.

Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Pete C., now I'm not worried. Other than the ink on the bottom of the cartridge which I didn't knew was normal the filter looks good and sturdy. I can get these filters here in Canada for $5.29+eco fee+taxes=$6.54. My Van is specked for the 51085 but I used the oversized filter 51515 which works perfectly on the Caravan and provides more filteration media and adds a bit of oil capacity. I have switched to this filter permanently since the past 2 ocis. It's the best bang for the buck filter that I can get here in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back