2011 VW JSW TDI: Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 VW JSW 6SP CJAA Engine

Dumped factory fill at 4k

6.5k miles on Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w30 (VW 507.00)(Low SAPS)
OEM Oil Filter is PurFlux from France

Of note:
Throughout the duration of this OCI, I used blend of 4 oz. of Standadyne PF and 2 oz. of Stanadyne LF per tank. I can say with certainty, this was done 97% of all tank fulls.

Results are soundly typical of most UOAs posted recently.

TDIClub users hardly purchase Nitration/Oxidation, I see on the recent UOA done by Terry for wensteph, my numbers in this regard are not in line and I will look to perhaps change my additive blend. Nitration is way too high.

I like the TBN for the miles, however I'd bet it would have ended up more less the same as others are seeing. ( perhaps on its way to getting beaten down )

Iron 40
Chromium 1
Nickel 0
Alum 58
Copper 11
Lead 1
Tin 0
Cadmium 0
Silver 0
Vanadium 0

Silicon 11
Sodium 3
Potassium 175
Titanium 0
Molyb 1
Antimony 0
Maganese 14
Lithium 0

Boron 1
Magnesium 7
Calcium 1661
Barium 0
Phos 655
Zinc 870

Soot < .1
Water < .1
V100C 12.3
TBN 4.22
Oxidation 25
Nitration 20

Where are you buying your Pennzoil Ultra and how much are you paying?

I had my local contacts source via:

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/

My local distributor at the time didn't even believe the oil was for retail.
I paid $ 35 plus shipping at the time as that was what was the online price. My local contact later told me there was no way he could ever beat that price .... today the oilstore lists for $ 47.
They did this for me as a favor, but I might as well have just ordered directly.

Now that I have the actual case and bottle, I hope to convince 'someone' on the retail end ( Napa and Hi/Lo come to mind ) to try and order so that I do not end up with the shipping fee.

For the price now listed with shipping you could have your choice of any imported VW 507 from many online retailers. ( I like idparts.com best)

I am happy with this run, I am also happy with the weight as the most other UOAs I am combing through are showing slightly thinner.

HondaMan, curious if you've compared the Euro L to Pennzoil VX? Most of the specs are the same, but the flashpoint on VX is 230 vs. 215 on the L. The VX also quotes a VI of 178 (none listed for L) while on HTHS, L quotes 3.68 versus no value given on the VX spec sheet.

Hi 62Lincoln,

There is a serious sourcing issue with these particular Shell products. The epic Ultra Euro 5w-40 does not focus on these 'other' 'niche' Shell products, but the discussion is the same.

I was told by one of my contacts that the VX would 'go away' ... and that the Ultra version(s) was here to stay.
Independent proof of that came when I had one distributor attempt to order VX and they informed me that Ultra Euro L was only available. That same distributor later told me it was non-retail.

I know none of this confirms anything, all of this to say that my original quest was in fact for VX but I ened up with several sources for Ultra Euro L.

As I noted in a post above, I really am going to press Napa or Oreilly to source this product so that I do not have to pay shipping. Amazon would be good as I do not pay shipping.

Last edited:
Wow, that's too bad. FWIW, "Q Plus Diesel" appears to be the Quaker State version of VX - maybe it will have the availability that VX does not have. Maybe Shell gave that formulation to Quaker State?

Regarding:

Oxidation 25
Nitration 20

I've just confirmed that there were no FTIR clean lubricant data reference samples on file as NO ONE is able to obtain this oil easily.

Therefore the above numbers are not accurate.

I would have to send in a VOA to establish this reference. As this oil is so difficult to obtain, I may just move on to any of the German imports which are in fact very easy to obtain. ( way to go SOPUS )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back