Interesting developement for Toyota's 03-05 1ZZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this was covered here before, but I found this TSB dated 2008 while looking for something else:
TSB-0134-08

Quote:

The 1ZZ-FE engine oil capacity and oil level gauge assembly (dipstick) has been updated for specific model year Celica, Corolla, and Matrix vehicles. Refer to the information below for the updated capacity and part number information

This applies to 2003-05 Corolla and Matrix.

I actually saw remarks about updated dipstick when I once found a Toyota document about oil consumption issue in 1ZZ-FE.

Thus, I think that Toyota decided oil levels should be higher than previously marked to avoid oil consumption. I actually have a mild problem with oil consumption and it started when I left oil level half way between empty and full once after oil change (after reading on priuschat that it improves MPG). There was also way more metallic debris than anytime else on magnetic oil drain during that OCI. I posted about it here with some pictures.

Now, it's clear that the half way level was below low on the new dipstick and that damaged the rings.

I'll either order new dipstick or mark new full level on old one (18 inches below the oil seal, or 10mm above the Full mark).

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Now, it's clear that the half way level was below low on the new dipstick and that damaged the rings.

Having a low oil level has no effect on ring life. Having too much oil can cause excessive oil thrown onto the cylinder walls and smoking because the rings cant fight off a huge amount of oil. But once the level drops to where the huge amount if oil is no longer present the smoke will stop. No ring damage.

Don't know about that, but there must be a reason why Toyota increased oil level. Too bad they didn't advertise that and I learned this late about it.

BTW, this is that internal Toyota document explaining causes and countermeasures of oil consumption and mentioned revised dipstick (on page 8) that I mentioned before:

link

Hmmmmm

If I sent out such a bulletin, I would do it because most of the people who have this engine are not changing the oil on schedule, which could be a liability for them and then turned onto me when they come to complain that there is sludge or funny business going on inside of it.

Oil consumption issues can also be insulated slightly by increasing the sump capacity too, but it's not really a fix.

So.......I can knock out two birds with one stone. Perfect.

That would be my mindset if I was Toyota. haha

I wonder if the 1ZZ engine on the Vibe has the same problem with the dipstick (I realize it says select 1ZZ engines from those years)? We have a 03 Vibe with that engine. But no consumption. I always fill it to the full mark if not a bit above. Takes about 4.5 qts, which is the quantity the TSB linked in the OP says to fill.

My 2005 Corolla takes exactly 4 quarts with the slightly larger new filter (the Camry one that Toyota okay ed if the standard small one is not available) and have the factory dip stick.

I fill it to top of the range and normally need 1/3-1/2 quart (depending on what oil I'm using) around 6k then change it 7-8k.

200k + on it now with no problems. I'm not concerned that it is not clean. Once I take the cover off to check the valves I'll know for sure.

After reading the TSB what do I get out of it? They ran out of the old dipsticks and have plenty of 2006-2008 dispsticks that work fine. The engine can handle another 1/2 quart so no need to make the old shorter dipsticks. (and they have one less part to worry about)
whistle.gif

Bill

Don't know about that, but there must be a reason why Toyota increased oil level. Too bad they didn't advertise that and I learned this late about it.

They increased the oil capacity the same time they went to 5w-20. (2006)

I suspect that in the testing the engines used (all engines USE oil) more oil so bump up by 1/2 a quart so no chance to run low in the 5000 mile OCI.

Bill

Interestingly, one of my V8 tundra's (either the '00 or '05) had an incorrectly sized dipstick from the factory. A while after I had it they sent me a letter and then a different dipstick in the mail. I don't remember if it raised or lowered the oil level.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
My 2005 Corolla takes exactly 4 quarts with the slightly larger new filter (the Camry one that Toyota okay ed if the standard small one is not available) and have the factory dip stick.

I fill it to top of the range and normally need 1/3-1/2 quart (depending on what oil I'm using) around 6k then change it 7-8k.

200k + on it now with no problems. I'm not concerned that it is not clean. Once I take the cover off to check the valves I'll know for sure.

After reading the TSB what do I get out of it? They ran out of the old dipsticks and have plenty of 2006-2008 dispsticks that work fine. The engine can handle another 1/2 quart so no need to make the old shorter dipsticks. (and they have one less part to worry about)
whistle.gif

Bill

Your 2005 is covered by the TSB. Thus, you should use 4.5 qt of oil and fill 10 mm above the full on the old dipstick. I tell you what. Why don't you fill it with 4.5 qt of your favorite oil and see if your oil consumption goes down (even though it's not abnormal). I'm doing the same thing and I will mark the old dipstick with a new full line 10 mm higher. I'm too cheap to spend $15 for a new dipstick.

I still think that the fact that my oil consumption started when I left oil lowish is not a coincident.

The 2az-fe also went up in oil capacity around 2005~2006, at least in the Highlanders, at the time they started specing 5-20 instead of 5-30.

I always assumed it was a different pan, maybe it is just a different stick.

Anyway, I'm with Bill, I would assume this change was made with the viscosity change, not as a result of a ton of oil issues (they had enough of those five years previous that they would have acted sooner.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Having a low oil level has no effect on ring life. Having too much oil can cause excessive oil thrown onto the cylinder walls and smoking because the rings cant fight off a huge amount of oil. But once the level drops to where the huge amount if oil is no longer present the smoke will stop. No ring damage.

Then why not run all engines with 2 qts and say that all will be well?

More oil is a good thing for everything. Too much beyond design capacity is of course not.

Less oil should equal higher oil temperatures at steady state, which should equal more burnoff, more deposits, etc. I'd certainly think that these would manifest themselves at the rings...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Less oil should equal higher oil temperatures at steady state, which should equal more burnoff, more deposits, etc. I'd certainly think that these would manifest themselves at the rings...

Very good point. I forgot to mention, but I also believe that the extra oil has to do with decreasing oil temp. The link in my third post explains that piston skirts in 1ZZ-FE run too hot at 160C vs designed 120C (page 3).

Interesting to note when I was serviced Matrix/Vibe how earlier models were specced 3.8 liters oil capacity on the computer while some listed 4.2 and would accept 4.4 at max on the dipstick.

Last edited:
Not to steal the thread, just jumping on board...

I know of many 2.4 L Toyota engines that have oil consumption. My buddy is complaining about his daughters '07 Scion tC that is burning(not dripping) and we can't see any tailpipe smoke. This engine is loosing 1qt of oil in 600-700 miles.

This oil loss seems to be more prevolent on Scion tC's than Camry's, RAV 4's or any other vehicle this engine is in, IDKY!

My buddy is still looking for a cure as the compression is fine on all cylinders, the coolant level is OK and the PCV is good too!

Daughter wants to take her car to collage next year but, Dad is worrried that daughter won't keep an eye on the oil level.
shocked.gif

Since his daughter is away at collage, this is a perfect time to do a piston soak with...what product? Any recomemdations?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Daughter wants to take her car to collage next year but, Dad is worrried that daughter won't keep an eye on the oil level.
shocked.gif

Since his daughter is away at collage, this is a perfect time to do a piston soak with...what product? Any recomemdations?

Try seafoam for any soaking. But if your friend is worried his daughter won't check the oil in a car with oil consumption then simply don't let her take the car to school. If she refuses to check any other important issues should he really be allowing her to drive his vehicle? I always recommend synthetic oil to everyone who has a driver who has little or no auto knowledge as it reduces the chance of a low oil engine failure. I also add 1/2 qt extra to all of my kids cars for the same reason. But they all share in the maintenance responsibility. I also make sure I have the contact information to the nearest Dealer or Walmart auto center so if the oil life indicator gets to 20% they take the car in for a change. If they refuse or simply ignore it....it's shoe leather time baby.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

My buddy is still looking for a cure as the compression is fine on all cylinders, the coolant level is OK and the PCV is good too!

Any recomemdations?

Skip that it is piston rings, seals and there is a TSB for engines with less than 60,000 miles,

T-SB-0094-11 August 11, 2011
2AZ-FE Engine Oil Consumption

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back