Oil leak stopping additives??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have oil leaking from what I believe to be my rear main on my Honda Civic, I used UV dye and found oil coming out of my transmission bell housing gasket, and my clutch slips some days and not others probably because it has oil on it.. and the rear main is about the only way it would get in there. Its not a bad leak, I lose maybe a quart every 1500 miles, I was wondering do oil leak stopping additives work? and which one would be best for my application?

Stop leak additives are generally just oil thickeners which just mask the problem. Some have had good experiences with Valvoline Maxlife oil, which contains seal conditioners to slow or stop leaks.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Stop leak additives are generally just oil thickeners which just mask the problem. Some have had good experiences with Valvoline Maxlife oil, which contains seal conditioners to slow or stop leaks.

+1

Do a MaxLife oil change and let it do its thing. Your Civic is the perfect example of a vehicle that would benefit from a HM oil, with 200K miles on the clock.

Well I'm replacing the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, and input shaft bearing this summer I was just looking for a band aid that worked..

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: glum
No, they don't have "seal swell agents" in them.

Ya, they do.

From Valvoline Max Life Synthetic blend bottle:
"Seal conditioners help reduce oil consumption and leaks"

From QS Higher milage engine oil bottle:
"Reduces oil consuption through worn or leaking seals"

Im going with the Lubro Moly Oil saver, see what it gets me, its the only one I really found with a solid reputation, ill post back after the suggest 1k miles for it to do its thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back