mix 5w-20 with 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all... my wifes accord takes 4.5 qts of 5-20 and my canyon takes 6qts of 5-30. My truck usually gets changed every other time the car does as my wife is always going going etc... My question is would it be ok to save the half quarts left from my wifes car and use it as the 6th.qt for my truck? I buy the 5qt jugs of qs synthetic for 19 bucks and buying an individual qt is like over $6 alone. Thanks in advance

i have done it myself. mixed 5qts 5/20 with 2 quarts 10/40 all vwb

if its the same brand and every thing just not the same grade i think no matter what you will be ok

alot of folks here mix grades, brands and types with out issue

I plan to do something similar with 10w-40 Castrol Syntec that I got on a good special, thinned down with 5w-20 Castrol Syntec to make something like a 5w-30 for my Ford 4.6 modular engine.

I am sure you will be fine...and nice to see supportive and realistic comments about oil blending here.

I'm probably going to end up mixing as well with my Honda just because I have some 5w30 leftover from when I had the Saturns.
I've never worried about mixing at all. As always, its better to mix than to run low or out of oil etc.

I mix every oil change. My 07 Sonata takes 4.5 qts and my 09 Santa Fe takes 5.5 qts. Sonata gets 5w-30 & the Santa Fe gets 5w-20. Two 5 quart jugs, one 5w-30 & one 5w-20 works perfect for me. Half quart of 5w-30 goes in the Santa Fe to fill it up.

My top up oil is a combination of many different weights and varieties of leftover M1 that have been poured into a 5 qt M1 jug. I have three different cars with three different oils but they all get the same stuff at top up time. Been doing this for years with no apparent ill effect of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back