What oil in your Mower and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella 15W-40. Because if it's good enough for a tractor-trailer, it's good enough for my Briggs & Stratton.

When I don't have that it's Valvoline Max Life 5W-30 or 10W-30. Because it works and I have it on hand all the time for the wife's car, LOL...

Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage, its SL rated, in two units.

Toro Super Recycler with Briggs engine.
And a 30-40 year old 4 stroke edger.

The edger leaks its oil. I ran it last season with a bit of MMO in the sump to clean it out. The HM additives should help a bit.

The Toro sees long weekends of 100+ degree temps, so I figure the 40 weight should help a bit.
BTW, I let the Toro run for 15 minutes before I drained the oil. This is the 5th or 6th drain and fill it has had.
The oil came out silver.
I typically let the mower sit a few minutes after I mow before I change fluids. This time I tried to do it while the mower was hot.
Seems that I still have a bunch of break in particles in there.

Delo400 30wt and for older engines a mix of Delo400 30wt & Delo400 40wt. Average starting temp 70F, no cold starts here. Commercial usage, engines are pushed to the max in thousands of hours of usage followed by manual recommended. No Delo400 10w-30, a personal thing.

Started out with M1 10W30 as I thought it was one of the best. Ran Amsoil ASE for a while because I liked the notion of a VII-free formulation. Now running Rotella T - leftover, cheap, works well.

Still working on a stash of Mobil 2T for the lawnboys.

Genset & pressure washer get Rotella 30w single grade under the theory that once started they run for hours. If I had a 4 stroke mower I'd be using 10-30 as run time is about 30 min each week on each mower.

The 6.5HP B&S on the mower gets auto parts store house brand HD30 every spring. The Subaru/Robin genset will get RT5 10W-30 for its first change when it hits 20 hrs.

I'm still on the toro 30 wt OEM fill on my new toro recylcer 20333. but I bought briggs 30 wt oil for oil change for my briggs engine. I have a 6 yr warranty on my mower. I figure I need to stick with 30 wt lawn mower oil to avoid problems if a warranty problem comes up.

I run M1 EP 10w-30 in my Honda LM. Change it in August and after last,leaf bagging,mow in November. It's oem spec,slippery,and durable.

Rotella T6 5W-40, because that's what I use in my motorcycle, and It's a lot cheaper than the straight 30 recommended by Tecumseh.

My mower is still running on the Syntec 0W30 that I put in it 2 seasons ago. I may get around to changing it this season. Whenever I finally change the oil in it, I'm using whatever left over oil I have in the garage.

I have an old Techumese in a sears lawn mowe rthat I am waiting for it to quit running so I can buy a decent lawnmower,,,I use what ever is left over from the vehicle oil changes.
If I had a riding lawn mower I would use a HDEO oil in it.

Boy... I feel lame... I use Wolf's Head 30W on the flat heads or 10w30 in the OHV's... I'm a Kohler guy, and I've always had the motor outlast the machine it's mounted on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back