Oil brand and weight for my 2000 Mazda Miata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Miata with around 100,500 miles on the odometer. I currently live in San Diego, Ca, I regularly take my car up to redline when I feel the desire to go really fast. I am currently using Castrol Syntec (non-edge version) 10W30. The engine is in good shape, when I got it the engine didn't have any sludge on the cams, spotless actually, when I look under the oil fill cap, new oil also stayed clean for a good while as well from what I could tell from the dip stick. Should I stick with what I'm using or change to Castrol Edge 5W30 or 10W30. This is also my daily driver as well.

Any recommendations are welcome.

edge is a pretty good oil, especially if you plan on stretching the ocis. cost is the only issue

that being said have done any uoas of the syntec? i would want one before i made up my mind to switch or not.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
edge is a pretty good oil, especially if you plan on stretching the ocis. cost is the only issue

that being said have done any uoas of the syntec? i would want one before i made up my mind to switch or not.

I don't know what uoas stands for, but in any case I have done one.

What's the change interval for edge?

EDGE is a 15K OCI, but I wouldn't run it more than 8-10K. UOA is a Used Oil Analysis, if you were interested. If you can find EDGE at a good price, it is a great oil.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
EDGE is a 15K OCI, but I wouldn't run it more than 8-10K. UOA is a Used Oil Analysis, if you were interested. If you can find EDGE at a good price, it is a great oil.

Seems like edge is the way to go, but why is it so good?

Thanks for the info. I went with the 10W30 Castrol Syntec since it works for me and doesn't make since to buy the more expensive stuff when I change out ever 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: gryffinwings
Thanks for the info. I went with the 10W30 Castrol Syntec since it works for me and doesn't make since to buy the more expensive stuff when I change out ever 5,000 miles.

with 5k you dont have run syn, but im sure the engine will stay clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back