The price of motor oil in Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLR

I am in Europe and the other day I saw some Agip 5w40 motor oil at a filling station. The price of one, one liter (a little over a quart) of this oil was 29.00 Swiss Francs. At $1.29 for one Swiss Franc that is $37.41 for that bottle. That makes for $180 sum dollars for an oil change before you buy the filter. Wal Mart looks better every day. Thought you guys would be interested in this.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

IMO...It's just a matter of time before we start to see higher motor oil prices. I hope not as high as in Europe. With the advent of "Green" bottled oils from Valvoline etc....I would not be surprised to see much higher prices for Virgin motor oil in the future.

That is a typical filling station price for oil - even in these parts of Europe. Because of this you buy motor oil at gas station only in an emergency.

4 litres of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 at parts store costs around 27 Euros ie. around 40 USD.

Well in many parts of Europe vehicle ownership is a luxury out of the hands of most average folks unless they are real enthusiasts and willing to use up a large proportion of their income on it. Mind you the public transit in the worst of places there puts our best to shame but I hate having to rely on transit. And that's for a small 4-cylinder economy type vehicle. Large V8 sedans, SUVs, V8 pickups are pretty rare there from what I understand.

I certainly hope I never see that happen here. I would be absolutely crushed if I had to go back to a tiny econobox and only drive it when really needed, nevermind go carless and take transit. I'm a car guy, my heart pumps motor oil through my veins
smile.gif
the high gas prices and insurance lately are killing me but I'd rather work a P/T job on top of my F/T job (which I am doing now) than lose the joy of driving what I want, when I want. Well, I'm not driving what I REALLY want
smile.gif
but I'm satisfied with it. No one should be denied the pleasure of driving something they're proud of, and that's getting harder and harder everyday for the average working joe. Obviously not an option for guys like me over there.

Most of Europe and many other countries have high taxes. We have to include 13% VAT and 3% sales tax in the selling price, as well as "luxury tax" and import tax. That takes you to about $7 a quart. But gasoline is subsidized so it is $2.00 a gallon, although they tried to double it in December and had so many riots they had to back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back