2001 cr500 trans oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen that people have put 80w90 GL5 oil in the trans is this true? i have a lot of hps 75w GL4 GL5 oil on the shelf and i would love to use it ...
any toughs on this thanks ..

I would follow the manual for which trans oil to use, or go to a bike forum and see what the consensus is there.
How do you like the 500? I almost got one but went with 96 YZ250 instead and its been more than I can really ride anyways, lol. Its been ported, has a long rod kit, and a pipe too, so its got some bark. But nothing like a 500.

There really is no need to use heavy gear oil in the trans. Most 2 stroke motocross engines will survive with just about anything in the gearbox. A common favorite is synthetic ATF, such as Mobil 1 ATF.

Redline, Spectro, BelRay and others make "trans" specific oils. Some are simply repackaged motor oil with a dye, generally a 10W-30. Some of these brands even have this info on the back side of the bottle!

I've gone to ATF in all my 2 strokes with great results.

You will also lose some HP using a heavy gear oil. Not that the CR500 doesn't have a little to spare anyway.

Cool guys thanks i diss got all this oil from a auction i bout 8 cases of hps full synthetic 100:1 (24 8 ounce bottles to a case ) and one 6 to a case of 75w full synthetic GL5 that i payed 20.00$ for them sweet deal.The piece of paper that i got what the cases say that you can used it but i am not sure i will post photo of the oil and the paper that came what it tomorrow thank guys

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I would follow the manual for which trans oil to use, or go to a bike forum and see what the consensus is there.
How do you like the 500? I almost got one but went with 96 YZ250 instead and its been more than I can really ride anyways, lol. Its been ported, has a long rod kit, and a pipe too, so its got some bark. But nothing like a 500.
That's funny i have a long rod kit for a 96 97 yz 250 and i own the 4 cr 500 over the years they are great motors but my buddy have crf450 yzf450 and they are faster on the track but i hold my own ...

Originally Posted By: davedude
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
That's funny i have a long rod kit for a 96 97 yz 250 and i own the 4 cr 500 over the years they are great motors but my buddy have crf450 yzf450 and they are faster on the track but i hold my own ...

I guess the new 450's pretty much match the motor CR500 motor but have updated chassis? I hardly ever ride off my property anymore so I don't get to see how all the new bikes run...

Depends on what you want.

A 75W-90 gear oil viscosity is roughly equivalent to a 20W-50 motor oil.

Typical ATF viscosities are in the 15W to 20W range but Redline and Amsoil both make a "heavy" which is about a 30 wt.

I would think that gear oils and motor oils have some amount of anti-wear ingredients but what's in an ATF? Just asking the question - I never really looked at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back