Virgin Quaker State QS3600 Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Menards had 'em on sale again so I stocked up for the car and the van this year. This is the FL400S xref for our '98 Windstar.

Whole View:

qs10.jpg

Side 1:

qs11.jpg

Side 2:

qs12.jpg

Side 3:

qs13.jpg

Seam:

qs14.jpg

Media measured out at 110 sq. inches.

Looks like the base model Purolater.

Are the Pennzoil filters now Purolaters as well? I would think so, but I remember them being Fram a while back.

Not too bad of a filter, but this is a prime example of why you have to at least do your research when buying an aftermarket filter.

Apparently the QS 3600 is x ref'd for both the FL400 and the FL820s. I bought one for my Ranger and when I noticed that while it would fit and seal, it was shorter than the Motorcraft, as well as a much thinner and flimsier can and a general impression of inferiority (Compared to the Motorcraft, I'm not saying it's bad compared to others in it's price range). But the Motorcraft is just a few bucks more and seems like 5x the quality.

It's still sitting on the shelf in my workshop, as I decided to just install a Motorcraft filter and save this one for when I change oil on one of the many old worn out Fo5ds in the family that I service from time to time.

OTOH, for my old Toyota, I was more impressed with the value of many of the aftermarket filters, the Napa Gold (wix) filter for it I preferred even over the OEM Denso filter. Thankfully, that same filter fits my Mom's Corolla so I can use up that huge stash of them I still have hanging around.

Long-winded post yes, but to sum it up, aftermarket oil filters can be just as good as OEM and save you money, but LOOK UP THE SPECS! and compare them to the OEM specs. Sometimes they are way off. Will fit and won't grenade the engine but often less than ideal and can cause annoying noises, etc.

Mind you the FL400s and FL820s are pretty similar, but obviously there's a reason for the small difference and why some engines get one or the other.

The one that stands out the most from what I've read is the by-pass spring PSI rating.

11psi, vs 16psi.

Again, not a huge difference, but I'd want to make sure my engine has most things functioning exactly as intended. The few things I might change are done intentionally, for a researched ond thought out reason, not by cost cutting or lack of knowledge.

If you have a Ford, I say nothing out there beats a Motorcraft filter. I have to pay extra and get them from the dealer up here, most of the lucky Americans can buy them at (It hurts me to give them any of my money) Wal-Mart. For a heck of a lot less that I pay here, so I've been told.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pidster
Apparently the QS 3600 is x ref'd for both the FL400 and the FL820s.

I don't know how that's possible, since the FL400 and the FL820s use different threads.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes

Are the Pennzoil filters now Purolaters as well? I would think so, but I remember them being Fram a while back.

Quaker State, Pennzoil, Performax (a Pennzoil brand) and Valvoline are all Purolator filters now.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I don't know how that's possible, since the FL400 and the FL820s use different threads.

Ohh man I look like an idiot right there
blush.gif
I realize i've confused the QS3600 and the QS2-that fits my truck. - Somehow lumped them together in my head how, I have no idea.

Thanks for pointing that out so no one gets confused. I stand by my statement about checking out aftermarket oil filters, the QS2 is shorter and flimisier than the MC FL820s, but you're absolutely right the 3600 is a different filter altogeher.

My apologies for speaking(typing?) before thinking it through. Had a long hard day today, the ol' gray matter is taking a nap one me lol. Think I'll stick to the non-technical kind of discussion until I get a good night's sleep.

You may have been thinking of the FL500 or something. The 500 is the new smaller diameter version of the FL-820s that is being used on many new Fords.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes

Quaker State, Pennzoil, Performax (a Pennzoil brand) and Valvoline are all Purolator filters now.

Woo!

I think something is up with QS's cross reference P/N's. I was at Menard's a few days ago to pick up a few of these filters on sale and went to QS website to jot down P/N's. I found that the QS16 that fits my Durango is listed as "avaiable until supply is depleted", and now calls for the QS3600 which is much narrower. Same story for the FL-820s equivelent. So, I don't know what's up with that, but I wound up not getting any of the QS filters.

Maybe QS is slashing it's P/N catalog as a cost saving measure and making what's left "universal"? IDK.

Some sizes of filters aren't made anymore. The standard Purolator filter that was made for the Ford engines that used the FL-820S and sold under the Quaker State, Pennzoil and Performax brands was discontinued, and is now being replaced with the FL-500s sized filter (sold under the 173 part number for all three brands). They did that because these filters are mainly purchased by lube shops that want less part numbers and inventory to deal with.

Some sizes of filters aren't made anymore. The standard Purolator filter that was made for the Ford engines that used the FL-820S and sold under the Quaker State, Pennzoil and Performax brands was discontinued, and is now being replaced with the FL-500s sized filter (sold under the 173 part number for all three brands). They did that because these filters are mainly purchased by lube shops that want less part numbers and inventory to deal with.

Sadly thats what I suspected. After Napa stopped their spring promo this year on NG's, I was going to switch to these bargain priced Puro's.

It's bad enough the real MC FL-820s was shortened recently(without an associated price drop), but at least the diameter stayed the same. No way I'm gonna run those substantially narrower filters and have to worry about the gasket sealing up. Do you know if this is just QS/Pennzoil, or is it P1 and classics as well?

Quote:
They did that because these filters are mainly purchased by lube shops that want less part numbers and inventory to deal with.
Exactly. The combining of applications using the smaller/shorter in the 'made for' filters manufactured by Purolator is becoming the standard. No doubt going to the shorter application size has a cost saving factor too.

That aside, for a standard/economy filter it does look well made imo.

Likely the gasket sizes on these consolidated filters are the same, or close enough that fitment isn't an issue. The over-all trend does seem to be shifting towards smaller filters. With better oils and engines/management, I don't see why not.

For a $2 filter, these things are great.
hooked.gif

Originally Posted By: meangreen01

Sadly thats what I suspected. After Napa stopped their spring promo this year on NG's, I was going to switch to these bargain priced Puro's.

It's bad enough the real MC FL-820s was shortened recently(without an associated price drop), but at least the diameter stayed the same. No way I'm gonna run those substantially narrower filters and have to worry about the gasket sealing up. Do you know if this is just QS/Pennzoil, or is it P1 and classics as well?

The FL500s was pretty much designed to replace, or be compatible with the FL820s in applications where space is limited. The gasket should mate up just fine on all Ford applications. Ford uses pretty thick mating surfaces.

As far as I know, the Purolator branded filters in the original sizes are still available. Either way, the FL-820s should continue to be available for a long time.

BTW, the shorter FL-820s still has the same amount of media because they added more pleats to make up for the length.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
I think something is up with QS's cross reference P/N's. I was at Menard's a few days ago to pick up a few of these filters on sale and went to QS website to jot down P/N's. I found that the QS16 that fits my Durango is listed as "avaiable until supply is depleted", and now calls for the QS3600 which is much narrower. Same story for the FL-820s equivelent. So, I don't know what's up with that, but I wound up not getting any of the QS filters.

Maybe QS is slashing it's P/N catalog as a cost saving measure and making what's left "universal"? IDK.

I've come to the same conclusion... I need a filter for my (new to me) 94 dodge intrepid and picked up a few QS3600's... when I looked at the filter today that's on the car I'm thinking ok... well that's not right.

I'll try one and hope for the best (well I picked up two so if the first one works the second one will have to as well.)

Still a better filter than the ST filter and at $1.99 from menards you really can't beat it!

This is the concept I was getting at anyways. I had the part numbers all wrong but it's the "close enough" cataloging of applications I'm wary of. Gotta look up the details yourself rather than blindly following the filter company's guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back