How Long for Full Lubrication?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree space is more limited now than in prior models and I understand the newer stuff is checked. I was commenting toward the majority of vehicles on the road today that recieve a dry filter at change time, and increased capacity equals increased delay of oil pressure. I employed a school aged kid last summer that worked at Jiffy prior, and had never heard of filling the filters. I also remember in the early 80's when Cummins recommended not filling the filters during a change as they felt more dirt entered the filter during this process than installing promptly after removing it from box. They later reversed this when they linked spun front cam bearings on the bigcam III engines. I don't believe the filters are intentionally smaller now just to speed the oil pressure time like I stated, but it certainely helps.

Last edited:
I ALWAYS fill my filters when I change oil. I've never done it any other way. If the filter goes on at an angle then I fill it enough to prevent spillage but I haven't put a dry filter on in decades.

According to a contact I have in the aftermarket industry who used to work in the G van department at GM, the small filter on the new gen V-8's was a result of research. It simply did not need a big filter. Modern machining and manufacturing has rendered it unnecessary.

And re: pre-filling filters: Doesn't everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back