Mother's headlight resoration kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orielly's had it on sale for $14 (normally $24) this weekend so I picked it up to fix the headlights on my aunts car who is visiting for easter. Comes with a powerball and paste along with sanding pads for really bad headlights.

I followed the directions... ball first then pads if still bad followed up with the polishing ball on the drill.

While it didn't restore them to 100% it took a 1998 Lumina's headlights and restored them to about 75% of original. There was severe pitting I couldn't get rid of but the lenses are clear enough now you can see the bulb and reflectors.

Good product that works as advertised for those needing to breath some life back into dimmed yellow lights.

I agree, I used it 2 weeks ago but used an underpowered drill that only had a max rpm of 700. I bought another kit and want to hit it again. I have some faint scratches still showing but it definitely worked pretty well.

I thought I read something on the directions about other info for 'severe cases'? It probably would have been best to wet sand the lights w/ a 400/600 grit paper then run the powerball. Getting to 75% for $14 sounds like a complete win anyhow and I'm sure your aunt is happy.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
I thought I read something on the directions about other info for 'severe cases'? It probably would have been best to wet sand the lights w/ a 400/600 grit paper then run the powerball. Getting to 75% for $14 sounds like a complete win anyhow and I'm sure your aunt is happy.

Ball first. If not sufficient then follow severe directions and use the included 4 step wet sanding pads. Then hit it with the ball again. They want you to use the ball first to clean off any light oxidation so that you can better tell just how much you're taking off with the sanding pads. Plus I suspect it keeps the step 1 and step 2 pad from clogging as quickly if you've already buffed the light with the ball and softened up the garbage on the light.

Ball cleans up really nice too. Completely disassembles leaving you with just the foam element to soak in hot water and dishsoap for a bit before wringing out all the buffing compound.

Last edited:
Not to deviate, but I did have success with Turtle Wax' product in this field of 'need'.

I wonder if there is any consensus on how effective one brand's product is over another? I did have a friend bring to mind something though.

After this cleaning, should there be something added to PROTECT the headlights? After all, you just cleaned it up and it'd be the perfect time to apply something that would work for such a purpose.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

After this cleaning, should there be something added to PROTECT the headlights? After all, you just cleaned it up and it'd be the perfect time to apply something that would work for such a purpose.

Thoughts?

After I got my headlights cleaned up I used UV Sealer, Helmsman Spar Urethane (Indoor/Outdoor) Clear Gloss mixed with Mineral Spirits (1 part urethane to 1 part mineral spirits. Then, take a blue 'scott' shop rag and fold it up into a 1 inch x 1 inch square. Then dip the rag into the mixture and wipe it on the headlight. Ya don't need much. Just a few ounces.

Got this idea off another forum.

Save yourself some money and just buy a can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound for $3. Does exactly the same thing as these kits....

Originally Posted By: grampi
Save yourself some money and just buy a can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound for $3. Does exactly the same thing as these kits....

I've been trying different things for 10 years. Post up some before and after pics cause I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Not to deviate, but I did have success with Turtle Wax' product in this field of 'need'.

I wonder if there is any consensus on how effective one brand's product is over another? I did have a friend bring to mind something though.

Thoughts?

Orielly has a sealer spray for like $7 you can spray on afterwards. Don't remember the brand though.

But only lasts for a few weeks......
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U

I've been trying different things for 10 years. Post up some before and after pics cause I don't think you know what you are talking about.

So I guess the clearing of my headlight lenses after using the TW rubbung compound is just a fig newton of my imagination? It's a little difficult to take any before pics of my lenses now that they're clear again...

Last edited:
^Perhaps he's asking how long they stay clean?

I cleaned my lenses 2-3 years ago and they still look like the hi-beams are on compared to the dullness that they were at before.

I've got a jar of TW rubbing compound "heavy duty cleaner" and another of TW polishing compound "scratch remover" in my garage. It's been so many years since I've tried using both these. They did next to nothing when I used them and or if I remember the headlights looked hazy/bad after. I've tried probably 15 or more products before these recent ones directed at 'headlight restoration' and can say nearly all of them did nothing.

It isn't rocket science. The headlight restoration kits use an ebrasive to remove the hazy look, which is exactly what rubbing and polishing coumpounds are. Use a buffing wheel or ball and start with the coumpound first to get rid of most of the worst hazing, then finish with the polishing compound. It will end up looking just as good as if you used a kit...

I have used things like PlasticX and a buffing wheel to remove problem spots on lights, but really hazed up lights need to be sanded down quite a bit.

I used 3M's kit, which comes with a series of different grit sandpaper. Are these rubbing compounds really that good to match sandpaper?

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I have used things like PlasticX and a buffing wheel to remove problem spots on lights, but really hazed up lights need to be sanded down quite a bit.

I used 3M's kit, which comes with a series of different grit sandpaper. Are these rubbing compounds really that good to match sandpaper?

No, but if you need sand paper, you don't need a kit to buy that.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

No, but if you need sand paper, you don't need a kit to buy that.

This is true! It's more of a convenience factor when buying a kit than anything else.

Cleaned up my mom's headlights tonight. Took about 30 min total. The left side was exactly the same as the right but I have no 'before' shots of the left.

DSCF1593.jpg

DSCF1591.jpg

DSCF1592.jpg

DSCF1594.jpg

DSCF1595.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back