HONDA ATF-Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW CIVIC OWNER HERE. HONDA ACCORDS AND CIVICS SEEM TO GO FOREVER. WHY ALL THE DOUBT ABOUT THIER ATF, PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND. THANKS TO ALL

Last edited:
IMO, much of it has to do with the less than stellar reputation of Honda auto tranny's. That said, I've used only Z-1 for simple drain and refills on an 01 Civic with ~150k, still going strong. And a check will show the 01 model certainly fits the reputation.

Recently though, Z-1 is said to be superceeded by DW-1 on newer model Hondas.

Welcome.

sayjac, ive read on here that the z1 fluid gums up, I have a habit of using whats suggested by the manual. Do you think if cars under warranty, one should stick with suggested fluids??

Quote:
sayjac, ive read on here that the z1 fluid gums up, I have a habit of using whats suggested by the manual. Do you think if cars under warranty, one should stick with suggested fluids??
When it comes to Honda AT's, I'd stick with Honda's recommended fluid under warranty. Should something happen, eliminate an excuse/reason for Honda not to honor the warranty. After that, up to you, Amsoil does seem to have good rep here with use in Honda AT's.

As for Z-1, can only go with my experience which has been good. Basically it's not broken (knock wood), so no need to fix it. JMO

As sayjac said above, the Z1 is no longer being made or recommended. It has been replaced/superseded with the new Honda DW-1 ATF which is a synthetic ATF. I put it in one of my Elements a few months back and it shifts better than new.

If you read through Honda's service bulletins dating back several years you see where they went from recommending a Dexron-III fluid to using their own Z1 fluid (1995 or 96 I believe). The specific bulletin stating to use the Z1 goes into details about why the change came about. In essence, the Honda fluid is a Dexron fluid that has the minimum standards raised in order to allow the fluid to go for longer drain intervals. It's much like the VW fluid which is known as Esso LT-71141,, it simply took a common fluid and raised the standards of performance.

-better oxidative stability
-lower volatility

There are several fluids on the market that meet Honda's performance requirements and they do this by offering a higher quality basestock and a better additive package than the minimum standard Dex-III.

I did a fluid drain and refill on a 1996 Honda Accord yesterday and I bought the Z1 fluid at my local NAPA ($9.14/qt). The procedure calls for 2.9 quarts of fluid. I also added a full 10 0z. bottle of Lubegard red to the fluid change and will drain and refill this fluid again in two months. The vehicle in question has 150,000 miles on the original transmission and the shifts had become quite harsh. The fluid change and addition of Lubegard make amazing improvements in shift quality.

I will print the service bulletin describing the fluid improvement tonight and quote it here giving exact details.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
As sayjac said above, the Z1 is no longer being made or recommended. It has been replaced/superseded with the new Honda DW-1 ATF which is a synthetic ATF.

Right on, or ANY ATF that says compatible or suitable for ATF-Z1 is an excellent choice. Amsoil, Amalie, Castrol Mult-Import or Valvoline Maxlife to name a few.

All that aside, it's the Honda 4cyl, AT equipped vehicles that run on forever. It's when Honda throws a high HP V6 into the mix when things come unglued.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
All that aside, it's the Honda 4cyl, AT equipped vehicles that run on forever. It's when Honda throws a high HP V6 into the mix when things come unglued.

Joel

No, the trans behind the 4 cylinder cars are known to go out too.

But I guess that depends on ones definition of "forever."

Here's just a sample of issues for the 2001 7th gen;

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2001/transmission/transmission_failure.shtml

Not sure if the original poster has bought a brand new civic, or a new to him used civic. I'll assume if it was brand new, then Z1 would no longer be the fluid spec'ed.

Last edited:
Caps_Lock.jpg

i guess it would help if I posted more info, the civic is an 09 and it has the 5 speed. Im now trying to get in touch with honda to find out if the the DW-1 atf is the direct replacement for the z1-atf for use in the 09 trans.

Originally Posted By: lakeguy
Hey big mike, liked the photo, I get ya.

I'm sure you know I was just messing with you. I'm glad you took it in stride.
cheers3.gif

i guess it would help if I posted more info, the civic is an 09 and it has the 5 speed. Im now trying to get in touch with honda to find out if the the DW-1 atf is the direct replacement for the z1-atf for use in the 09 trans.

DW-1 is a direct replacement, I'd use it and change it more often then what Honda says. I'd do it every 15-20K Miles.

I was told by Molakule (from an older post) that the main difference in Z1 is the ZDDP that isn't around in other ATF. The ZDDP can clog the clutch pack of other brand but Honda seems to be fine with it, and there's newer additives that works fine in Honda without ZDDP.

I've been using Maxlife in my Integra for 60k and so far so good.

Am I just tired, or do you have a manual transmission??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back