Mobil 3309 or Equivalents ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My volvo fitted with Aisin transmission requires "so called" special volvo ATF which I've been told is Mobil 3309 without the huge Volvo price mark up. Mobil 1 supplied by most big box auto stores may try to tell you that Mobil 1 ATF is the same as Mobil 3309. It is not! and when you ask for Mobil 3309 they go glassy eyed as if you are speaking a foreign language. When they do get it they will inform you they would need to puchase a pallet! For those needing 3309 for Aisin transmissions, AVLube.com is a great company to work with, fast to your door 12 Quart cases and competitively priced. Mine arrived at $79.00 including UPS ground, for a box of 12. However my question is, will Mobil 3309 mix with say AmsOil Synthetic ATF or for ATF used in Toyota - T-IV, or ATF used by ford in Aisin applications? The Toyota ATF is often sold by local dealers for $4.75 Quart. It would really help to know?

I have a case of T-IV and would not lose sleep at night mixing it with 3309.

I can't speak as to the side affects of mixing it with Amsoil, but why would want to waste money by diluting the Amsoil ATF??

forbinnie, much has been discussed about this ATF on this site and on volvo sites, e.g., volvospeed.com. With a search you'll get all the information you need about this subject.

T-IV for $4.75/qt from your local dealer is your best source for this fluid.

I too have questioned whether other ATFs are the BEST substitute for 3309. I often seen "suitable for use in....." rather than meets 3309 OEM requirement. There are lots of One-size-fits-all now on the market and even Mobil Syn has an ATF that is "suitable for..." but, they still carry 3309 on there website. When my time comes, I will first visit my local Mobil servics station where they do AT flushes and see if they have 3309 on hand. If not then a call to Mobil to see where I can purchase quarts and as a very last resort I will go to Toyota or other that have 3309 or T-IV fluid. The Mobil site states that 3309 is specifically developed for AW ATs which to me is more definitive that" suitable for..."

Our local Mobil distributor has ATF 3309 available for purchase for the cheapest price. The problem is that it's a pain to buy it. I have to first order it from an office in one suburb different from mine, then drive to Detroit during business hours to pick up the order (not a pleasant experience). It's not worth the gas or hassle to go that route. The local Toyota dealer is right in my neighborhood and sells it over the counter.

Your local Toyota dealer has T-IV right there in stock.

Also, "Motorcraft Primium Automatic Transmission Fluid" is Fords version. Note that this is NOT their Mercon Fluids. Cost may or may not be the same as Toyotas T-IV.

I can buy the above two fluids by the bottle, but with ATF3309, I have to buy a case or more.

My local jobber has Wolfs Head Universal Full Synthetic Automatic Fluid (same as Amalie) which meets ATF3309 specs. Cheaper than the Toyota or Motorcraft fluids. I use this in both my cars.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
forbinnie, much has been discussed about this ATF on this site and on volvo sites, e.g., volvospeed.com. With a search you'll get all the information you need about this subject.

T-IV for $4.75/qt from your local dealer is your best source for this fluid.

+1 T-IV is the same stuff. Call several Toyota dealers as prices differ and some give a 12qt case price discount.

Ask your favorite real auto parts store (not a big box store) for the price on a case of 3309, or as Kestas does, check with the Mobil Lubricants distributors (check your Yellow Pages) for one that is easy to do business with.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
My local jobber has Wolfs Head Universal Full Synthetic Automatic Fluid (same as Amalie) which meets ATF3309 specs. Cheaper than the Toyota or Motorcraft fluids. I use this in both my cars.

I have used Amalie full syn Universal ATF in my '04 Highlander V6 4WD with AW 5-speed auto with no ill effects!

I use Toyota T-IV for my Camry V6. OEM is much safer. You can buy it from online. T-IV case cost $47. Shipping is about $10. If you order other OEM parts, shipping cost is still cheap. If you want the website for toyota OEM parts, please let me know.

Years ago I replaced the T-IV ATF in a 2002 Toyota Solara with Amsoil. The results were so good, I decided I would never go back to using T-IV again.

Amalie & Wolf's Head Universal Synthetic ATF have no licenses and do not meet 3309 spec. They have the long list of "suitable for use applications" which includes the 3309 transmissions.
http://www.amalie.com/specs/4b_trans_cvt.pdf
http://www.wolfshead.com/specsheets/universalsynthetic.pdf

Mobil 1 has really shortened their list of recommended transmissions...3309 applications are no longer on the list.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

So...the only licensed ATF that actually meets the 3309 spec is...3309! It can carry the Toyota label or Ford label or Mobil label--all the same red juice.

Why do you want to use amsoil ATF on the toyota??? It is expensive and not approved by Toyota..

Toyota OEM ATF cost $3.91 / qt
Amsoil ATF cost $10.75 /qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back