180 or 195 thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Sorry, my bad. I meant domestic vehicles.

That 2000 Z28 shipped with a 195.

If that is the case, then why can I not buy a thermostat with that temp rating today??

Probably because you haven't tried a stealership parts counter.

That 2000 Z28 shipped with a 195.
If that is the case, then why can I not buy a thermostat with that temp rating today??
Probably because you haven't tried a stealership parts counter.
The OE thermostat on many of those LS engines is indeed 86°C/186°F. Steve's mostly right--it is an unusually low temperature for a domestic thermostat. It's the only sub-90°C one that I know of!

According to RockAuto, the thermostat for said '00 Z28 is a 186*F thermostat, Stant #14948 or Gates #33963.

Additionally, the OEM thermostat for a Cadillac Northstar engine is a 180*F opener.

GM Ecotec engines use a 180F thermostat, or at least the two I looked at do.

So does the (now out of production) Ford 2.5L Duratec V6 engine, ca 1996.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
According to RockAuto, the thermostat for said '00 Z28 is a 186*F thermostat, Stant #14948 or Gates #33963.

Additionally, the OEM thermostat for a Cadillac Northstar engine is a 180*F opener.

+1.

Thank all of you above.

I knew I was not crazy (at least as far as this is concerned)!
smile.gif

Even the factory Helms manual says it is a standard 186* F thermostat opening, but I did not want to argue with SteveSRT8 since I generally/usually agree with what he has to say, and his opinions.
wink.gif

Thank all of you above.

I knew I was not crazy (at least as far as this is concerned)!
smile.gif

Even the factory Helms manual says it is a standard 186* F thermostat opening, but I did not want to argue with SteveSRT8 since I generally/usually agree with what he has to say, and his opinions.
wink.gif

What a polite-icly perfect response.
thumbsup2.gif

Thank you DD, but the courtesy is not necessary. Nor expected around here.

All you guys found the exceptions. Good job, and I stand corrected.

Don't worry, I won't print the list of vehicles that ship with a 195. It's too LONG!!!

Thank you DD, but the courtesy is not necessary. Nor expected around here.

All you guys found the exceptions. Good job, and I stand corrected.

Don't worry, I won't print the list of vehicles that ship with a 195. It's too LONG!!!

I'll tell you though, there should be a 195*F+ thermostat available for this car/engine for those poor souls who own one in International Falls, or even the expansive areas north of there!!
crazy2.gif

Along with block/pan heaters, 0W oils, radiator covers/blockers, etc. those people must just disconnect their fans altogether in the wintertime.
wink.gif

My 2007 Ford 500 uses OEM 180*, I prefere the lower temp, why stress the powertrain with extra heat.

You are unlikely to find ANY OBDII vehicle with less than a 195 as stock..

Not totally true.

All 97-2002 Isuzu truck - Rodeo/Trooper/V-cross 3.2 & 3.5L V6's came stock from factory with 170 degree thermostats, all of these engines are OBDII

I've been running 170 thermostats in my 97 rodeo for 200k miles; have yet to have an issue; I average 23mpg in a heavy suv, so my mpg isn't too bad.

some of us read the whole thread, some don't.

Regarding the low temp choice, I even run one in my new gen Hemi. It is tremendously affected by heat soak and pulls timing like crazy at anything over 180 degrees.

Some engines like it hot, some don't. Your mileage may vary.

Rockauto website states that 195 degree F is OEM for the 2004 Impala with the 3.8L motor.
180 degree is listed at "alternate temperature".
I would use the OEM of 195 Degree unless there is some specific reason (TSB) to use a different temperature.

The factory thermostat that I recently bought for my Mitsubishi said 88C etched into the housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back