Anyone know if Motomaster Synthetic 75W90 is any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks,

Found this site from Patman's posting on Ls1tech. Kinda fluke cuz hes also a local Torontonian. Anyways there is some GREAT info on this site but i found nothing about the Motomaster Synthetic gear lube and wondered if anyone might know good bad or otherwise. It seems Shell is making CTC's oil these days.

Wow, what a complete coincidence, I am looking for more information on it too seeingI am replacing my diff oil.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Motomaster Full Synthetic 75W90 gear oil (the golden bottle) are ok when I last used it in my Mazda transmission. A bit on the thin side than that of the QS full syn and priced so-so (I paid an extra $ to go with QS full syn).

It is more shear stable than that of the Moto semi-syn that I used for 4+ years (changed annually).

I tried some of that MM synthetic 75-w90 gear oil in my 1987 Jetta in the late 1990’s -- it’s currently still in my MT. It started a small drip in the seal that attaches to the engine and it required a whole bottle (small one) of “stop-leak’ to get the drip to stop.

Improved the shifting somewhat over the synthetic blend I had in there previously. I don’t know whether the drip was a PAO and seal issue or the stuff was on the thin side. It could be a Grp III gear oil these days -- don’t know.

I was looking into gear oils recently because I’m due for a change. I know Petro-canada uses Grp III oils in their synthetics so I checked out their gear oils. They have a synthetic blend 75w-90 gear oil (Traxon) that is less than $20-4l jug -- a Grp II/III blend that should be very high performing. I don’t think the full synthetic gear oil is much more than that but I can’t recall the price. This was at one of their truck-stop bulk stations. You can check for locations around the country here … PC. Spec’s for Traxon …here

Shell makes both the synthetic and synthetic-blend gear oils.

You can check the MSDS … (bottom of page) … CT

Synthetic …28-0263-0
Syn-blend … 28-0261-4

Enter first 6 digits without the “-“.

well I've run it before with no problems. Although I did roast a cone type posi unit in a car running this a few years back but its awful hared to blame the lube. I'm running a Torsen posi now and I'm gonna try it and see.

quote:

Originally posted by Drivebelt:
Shell makes both the synthetic and synthetic-blend gear oils.

You can check the MSDS … (bottom of page) … CT

Synthetic …28-0263-0
Syn-blend … 28-0261-4

Enter first 6 digits without the “-“.

Are you sure you provided the right link to check?

I bit the bullet and purchased 3 liters of it and redid the fluid in the front and rear diff.

Stuff is pretty thin compared to what was coming out. Though through driving I cannot find one single problem or noise.

Found a problem with Mr.Lube's though. I paid to have the front and rear diff's changed two years ago. The rear diff had relatively new fluid though the front fluid looks to have never been changed.

Was really black and grey and also had some condensation in it. Looked nothing like the rear although they were "supposed" to be changed at the same time.

Oh, little tip, make sure you are not right under the rear diff with your body when you remove the fill plug. My body acted as a drain pan for about 1/2 liter of gear oil. That stuff stinks and tastes like p00p.

quote:

Stuff is pretty thin compared to what was coming out. Though through driving I cannot find one single problem or noise.

Thats actually good in my case. The thinner the better for Torsens as I understand it you get more bias ( more "posi" effect ) out of them with thinner lube.

Stuff works great in my front diff on my Ford, no problems or noises to report of with intermediate use of my 4x4.

I was surprised when pouring the old stuff back into a bottle to see just how thick it actually was.

I am glad I did this, should help on the mileage as well.

Well if its Orange it MUST be good stuff
tongue.gif
After all the green oil is clearly the best

That gold bottle stuff has been in my '94 Toyota Pickup (front and rear diffs) and my ma's '05 Grand Vitara (front and rear diffs and transfer case) with zero issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back