How to remove swirl marks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been living with the swirl marks on my diamond black 300 now for over a year. They were left on the paint by the "detailers" at the Chrysler dealer where I bought the car.

I've resisted taking it to a shop for fear that some other bone-head will just burn the paint up further trying to polish out the swirls. Can anyone recommend a good do-it-yourself method? I've thought about buying a low-speed orbital polisher and using a mildly abrasive wax/polish.

Any input would be appreciated.

Chances are, if you've never done it before, you may cause even more damage trying to do it yourself the first time, unless you can practice on some other vehicle first before you get a hang of it.

I'd look for a reputable detailing shop and have them polish it.

I would recommend taking your time with this one, and going the extra mile considering this is a black car.

Wash the car twice using twice the recommended strength of a quality auto shampoo, and take your time with a clay bar to go over the paintwork. Then an orbital buffer would definitely come in handy with some rubbing compound, followed by an application of a quality scratch remover like 3M. Use a polymer sealant as a final step and you're as good as gold. If you want that wet look to it, you can use carnauba wax on top of the sealant.
thumbsup2.gif

go toautopia or equivalent and find the best detailer in an area that you are familiar with (bigger radius the better), and go talk to them. For $600 or so, the good guys can get most anything out and looking like new, provided nothing is too deep...

The joy of a black car!

The key to removing haze and light swirl marks is polishing BY HAND, nothing else does the job as well.

It's a time consuming process, BUT once you get the wheel marks out and use the correct products to reduce and or prevent future issues maintaining the paint is actually pretty easy.

Most important thing for preventitive maintence of paint is to USE FIBERS THAT CANNOT SCRATCH WHEN USED CORRECTLY.

Originally Posted By: JoeWGauss
The key to removing haze and light swirl marks is polishing BY HAND, nothing else does the job as well..

Could not be further from the truth. Using a random orbital buffer and the right polish will always outperform your hand. Trust me, I've detailed since I was 10. I used to think like you and did all my work by hand. Then I discovered Griot's Garage and bought their orbital machine and polishes. You can stand full weight on that buffer and not hurt the finish. I use griots stuff with success, but have also JUST DID A CAR YESTERDAY with the new Meguires Ultimate polish followed by Ultimate Wax on the SAME color car as G-MAN's. The results were terrific and all the scratches were removed. I prefer to do all my polishing by machine but I do apply waxes by hand. The machine mimics your hand movements hundreds of times over, is less work, applys the polish more evenly and is proven better than by hand....that's why the pros use machines..

G-MAN:

I recommend, since you are looking to use a readily available product and ease of use and safety, to get the Meguire's Ultimate polish and the Ultimate wax and use the applicater provided and wipe off with micro fiber clothes. You can do this by hand and the results should be to your liking. You will not hurt your finish, the polish breaks down fast and is very safe.

G-MAN:

I have a big black truck - don't have swirl marks anymore...

Try Meguire's Ultimate Compound, then Meguire's Nxt 2.0 wax over it like I did.

Rub it on in a straight line!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

G-MAN:

I recommend, since you are looking to use a readily available product and ease of use and safety, to get the Meguire's Ultimate polish and the Ultimate wax and use the applicater provided and wipe off with micro fiber clothes. You can do this by hand and the results should be to your liking. You will not hurt your finish, the polish breaks down fast and is very safe.

Thanks. I found this on the Meguiar's web site.

If you want to do it right, and do it yourself, then plan on spending a bit of moola. You can get a good random orbital (foolproof) polisher, the necessary foam pads, chemicals, and microfiber towels for $250-300. About that same amount will get you a professional detail one time. With the same expenditure on the equipment you can do it yourself from now on. Leave the car dealer out of it. That would be the worst choice for detailing. Autogeek has tons of DIY instructional videos and information you can access for free.

The work can be done by hand but it is backbreaking and will not come out as well as a machine will do it......and in less than 1/2 the time. Figure out which option you want and go for it.

I just went thru this awhile back,,I had someone do the swirl marks and so on, it was worth it, the 200 dollar buffer at a auto paint store was not worth me cutting the clearcoat off and making a macho mess. paid a dude 100 bucks, was worth it.

In my experience a machine is far superior to working by hand. If you think you're "interested" in being able to fix your current problem and continue to have one of the best looking cars around on an ongoing basis then spend the time to figure things out and invest in some equipment. A lot less user skill is required to use a random orbital compared to a rotary. You have to really screw things up badly (grit on the pads, completely inappropriate compound choice etc...) to make things worse with a random orbital.

As already mentioned, join a detailing-heavy forum like autotopia, read all of their stickies, FAQs and HOWTOs, ask some questions, and go shopping.

It's worth mentioning that you can reduce the appearance of imperfections in two ways - you can polish the imperfection out (either by completely leveling the surface or by dulling the edges of the micro-scratches so that they don't catch the sunlight any more) or by filling them with a glaze. A pro-detailer also told me that, technically, you can get some improvement too by causing the clearcoat to reshape itself a bit but that's likely only going to happen with a rotary, specific compounds, pads and lots of experience (if it would happen at all).

Although a complete leveling solves your problem permanently (the scratches are completely gone) you've removed material from your entire finish to do so. There's only so much paint and clear coat applied at the factory and clearcoat thickness determines durability and "depth of shine" depending on the finish. "Filling" with a glaze isn't permanent and to some degree the defects are still there. If you aren't careful with your carwash technique and soap choice and/or you don't keep a coat of wax/sealant on top of the glaze you can see your problems slowly come back.

Usually there's a happy medium which comes out with your paint looking flawless but some maintenance and upkeep is required. This is my situation. I do a once-per-year detailing afternoon with clay (if required - often not), multiple compounds applied by ROB as required and two coats of wax. I then target a quick single coat of wax every 4-8 weeks until just before winter (Oct/Nov) when I apply a double coat. If there's a warm sunny day that I can handwash the car and apply a quick coat of wax in Feb I will do so. Often my defects aren't even visible a whole year later. This year they are because the weather didn't allow me to wax since Nov so the layer of protection for the glazes broke down.

Most of the time if it's clean, it's flawless in appearance (except for stone chips). The direct sun cannot catch a single swirl on the surface and it really only takes me one afternoon per year with quick 20min wax jobs every 1-2 months in good weather.

Also be warned that usually in the detailing biz they will use compounds specifically designed to be "easy" and "quick" to hide imperfections with a minimum of work from the detailer using a high speed rotary. Often your problems will be back in just a couple of months because the durability isn't there and the average "detailer" did nothing to actually fix your problem. That is what a typical $100 "detailing" is going to do for you and you'll be back a couple of times per year. This is their business plan. A real fix will cost much more if you pay someone else to do it.

Last edited:
As others have posted, I'd recommend buying a dual action orbital buffer. It's fool proof and will not burn or damage the paint like a rotary buffer. Get a good polish and wax, after claying and that should remove moat swirls. Maybe go over it again a few days later and you should be good.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Meguiar's ScratchX is pretty hard to screw up.

Scratch X 2.0 works amazingly well with a random orbital buffer at removing swirl marks! I've got a whole bunch of different Meguiar's polishes in my arsenal, such as #81, #83, #9, and I've tried them all for removing swirls and scratches from my black Corvette and I find Scratch X 2.0 is the easiest to work with. In one pass it removes a good portion of the imperfections but what I really like about it is how easy it is to remove once it's dry. Many of the polishes I've tried are very hard to remove and it ends up taking you 3-4 hours to just go over the entire car once.

Meguiar's DA Microfiber System. Best system on the market. Just came out. 4 years of R&D. If you ask anyone that is in the detailing world or has a clue about Automotive paint they will say this is the system to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmBACx72h4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJYFLgIjhE

Auto Detailing solutions has two cutting pads, two finishing pads, D300 Compound, and D301 Finishing Wax for $80. You can't beat that.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/meguiars-da-microfiber-kit-builder.html

If you don't have a DA, that will run you about ~$150 plus the backing plate that runs about ~$20. You'll want to get a good LSP (last step product) to use after the D301, like Meguiar's Ultimate Wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back