Front wheels play at 3 and 9 O'clock on both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 Integra with 235k miles, original suspension other than new struts/shocks at around 150k.

The tires seem to wear toward the inner edges, similar to how tires wear with toe out or negative camber. Nothing in the car's handling has changed suddenly, but it seems to have a mild pull to the left that I have to occasionally steer to the right by about 3 deg every so often.

While rotating tires last night I checked the play on 3 and 9 O'clock, and 6 and 12 O'clock. There's no play on the 6 12 orientation, but the 3 9 orientation has about 1/8" of play at the trend of my tires (195 60 14), occur on both sides, and I hear a deep, low, and soft clunk when it reaches each end of the play. The test was done when the testing wheel is lifted off the ground on a jack, and the opposite wheel on the axle is on the ground.

Does this indicates something is loose and need to be tighten? or is part of the steering worn and need replacement (i.e. tie rod end link, inner tie rod, other steering part)? How to further diagnose which components to replace?

Last edited:
If the play is only at the 9 and 3 o'clock, I would suspect the outer tie rods but could be the inner as well. Look along the tie rods while working the wheel against the back and forth against the play and should be able to see where the movement is coming from.

Usually thats tie rods, either inner or outer, or both. Most likely outer. I suggest taking a wheel off, and moving the steering knuckle around. You could easily have ball joint play too, just watch the joints when you pry or move the knuckle around. It's really easy to find loose joints.

At 235k miles,it's a "beater". Sometimes it starts, sometimes it takes the day off. Some times it goes right , sometimes left, and no matter, it has a mind of it's own. Anything short of a complete teardown of both front and rear suspension and the steering rack will probably end up with unsatisfactory results. Drive it until the money chain runs out and marval that this fine piece of machinery went this many miles ALMOST to the moon.FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: justinf89
Probably everything at that mileage

+1

But probably outer tie rod ends. It wouldn't be a bad time to refresh all of the suspension components though.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
Probably everything at that mileage

I would second the probably everything. When you lift the vehicle try and lift it from a central cross member to get both front tires off the ground. Use a pry bar under the spindle and or the lower control arm to test for movement in the ball joints. Don't be scared to get your hands dirty. Put one hand on the joint and pry with the other. A lot of imports will never wear out the ball joints to the point of noticeable play.
Same with the tie rods. Grip the inner and outer joints, individually of course, with one hand and move the tire with the other. Your hands will be a much better gauge of movement than your eyes.
If you do the repair yourself both inner and outer tie rods on each side should be less than 100-200 dollars. If you get it done somewhere it might cost as much as the value of the car.
If you have your doubts about the diagnosis some repair centers will do an alignment check for free and diagnose the worn suspension components with the hopes of doing the repair. Firestone comes to mind for this.

+1 for tie rods.
-1 for being a "beater" because it has high miles.

I'd look for a reman rack and pinion.

I just went to the alignment shop last week. My Buick is doing the exact same thing
as your Acura and they told me to replace the front wheel bearings and tie rod ends.

9/3 end play is usually tie rods while 6/12 is often ball joints.
At 14 years and 235k I'd replace as much as I could afford if the future use would call for it. You certainly got your money's worth out of the OEM suspension. Bushings are cheap and a relatively straightforward replacement that enhance response and feel. (Sway bar and control arm).

Tie rod joints. Probably outer, but may be inner, or any combination.
I don't know why outers wear 100 times more than inners, but they do.

A good quick test is to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth rapidly [about 2"] while someone looks underneath.
You will readily see what isn't moving that should! A loose joint will be apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back