Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil in friends 1998 Hinda CRV 2.0l 4 banger after she said it had been about 6 months since her last oil change. Oil has 9,403 miles on it with NO, ZERO, I mean NO makeup oil. I had a few OAI sample kits around so I took a sample of what I thought would be abused oil. BTW this was w/ a TINY PureOne filter.

Iron=12
Chromium=2
Lead=8
Copper=13
Tin=0
Aluminum=6
Nickel=0
Silver=0
Silicon=11
Boron=2
Sodium=11
Magnesium=64
Calcium=1908
Barium=0
Phosphorus=1145
Zinc=1304
Moly=40
Titanium=0
Vanadium=0
Potassium=0

Fuel Water NONE
Soot/Solids NONE
Glycol NONE

Visc100=13.07
Oxid=47.0
Nitr=41.0
TBN=2.41

OAI advice was oil is suitable for continued use.

BTW she drives about 50 miles a day highway round trip for work.

[ November 14, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I would never have recommended that someone go this far on this oil but it sure did the job very well for a low cost oil!

This is the oil in my mom's car, although in 5w30 form. It's interesting to see it's thickened up by about 1cst and is now a 40wt. I would've expected it to thin out actually. I wonder if the 5w30 would do this though.

Looks like you left out a digit on the phosphorus number though.

Correct Phosphorus=1145, oooops. This oil was put in the car back in March 2003 so I assume it was an SL oil.

I am impressed...superb wear numbers. The TBN is incredible considering the number of miles this oil has on it.

[ October 10, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

This is great but I gotta ask........why did this not get any more responses ?

With oils like this... this engine does not need costly synthetics and probable many more engine designs.

That's a 10k mile motor oil folks
smile.gif

Thanks for this revealing post !

I'm sorta shocked myself that there were not more replies. One thing that I'm sure factors in here is that this car sees almost all long freeway drives in excess of 25 miles so the oil always gets up to operating temperature.
cheers.gif

Can't argue with the numbers.

This engine and driving conditions must be easy on this oil.

Curious as to sump capacity?

I don't think my Nissan 2.4L would have shown good numbers for this oil for this interval, but never really tried the oil, either. So many oils, so little time!
wink.gif

All them highway miles are easy on the oil. I would have never used that oil for almost 10k but it looks like it did the job!

Dame I'm impressed, Maby we are doubting that dino oils can't go farther then we thought.

Looks like "Lady Luck" like your lady!! I would not try to make a habit of this!! This engine sounds like the poster child for AUto-Rx if this is continued or has been the norm for her! See if you can not talk her into a more moderate oil change interval like 5000-7500 miles. Good luck and i am glad all is well !!!!

I personally do not understand suggesting a shorter OCI with such UOA results, especially with the TBN of 2.41 remaining. It seems to me a 10k OCI would be fine here. On both my vehicles, one an '87 and one a '99 the manuals call for 7.5k intervals for normal driving (which mine is) and no suggestion of synthetics is mentioned. Did not the makers of the engines know safe oil change intervals? I would certainly think so.

[ December 18, 2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: krholm ]

I've explained to her the vaule of changing the oil regularly but well I'm sure I don't explain the relationship between most females and vehicle maintenance
wink.gif
. Anyway the sump capacity is about 4.5 quarts and when I changed the oil there was only about 2 quarts
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
that came out.

[ December 18, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: 1maniac ]

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:

Visc100=13.07
Oxid=47.0
Nitr=41.0

I'm not sure of the normal viscosity of this oil, but it has thicked a bit if it was a 30 wt. While the oil seems to be doing its job, I would love to see the inside of the engine. I doubt that it looks like a synthetic has been in there, but instead, there would be quite a bit of sludge from the Oxid of 47 & Nitr of 41.

I wouldn't run this oil this long again, remind her that "high mileage" oil doesn't mean that you use it for high miles, but for vehicles that already have high miles.

I am impressed by the wear numbers, but the oxidation & nitration are way to high and will lead to problems down the road if she continues to run this oil this long. I would at least upgrade to the Syntec Blend if she wants to go for extended OCI - or can I suggest some Schaeffer's #701 (after a good AutoRX treatment)?

quote:

Anyway the sump capacity is about 4.5 quarts and when I changed the oil there was only about 2 quarts that came out.

WOW!!!

This oil did a **** fine job! I sure would like to see how bad Mobil 1 would look under these conditions.

From what I could see during the oil change the inside of the valve cover was pretty clean. I know that's not true representation of the entire engine but it's what I can speak of. I put Shell Rotella-T synthetic 5w40 in it and this spring well do an ARX cleaning to see what gets cleaned out. Just trying to get her to do the basic stuff is a procedure!
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:
From what I could see during the oil change the inside of the valve cover was pretty clean. *-*-*-*

Check inside the PVC hole... my internals looking with a flashlight look like new, you actually get too much light in the reflection, but even mine looking inside the PVC hole, it is discolored and brownish... still fair and clean in specific with 396558 miles but still have some cooties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back