Toyo or Kumho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Need a little advice...

I need to switch from winter tires to something more appropriate for the warmer months but do not really need anything high end, as our minivan is already 10 years
old, so something that is good value for the money is ideal.

The minivan is a 2001 Mazda MPV-DX that uses P205/65R15 92S tires.

I am currently undecided between the Toyo Extensa A/S and the Kumho Solus KR21. Price wise they are within $6, with the Toyo being the more expensive.

Any suggestions or other recommendations?

I have owned both Kumhos and Toyos and have been pleased with both. I wouldn't buy the Toyos again if I didn't have winter wheels/tires as they were a very hard compound and didn't do well in the snow.

The Toyos wore like iron though, and that seems like what you are looking for.

If I was getting the Altimax for a minivan and hand winter tires I wouldn't get the directional version, I'd get the RT version.

But I'd get the BFGoodrich Advantage TA, I have them on the Accord and like them. They are wearing well and quiet and about the same price.

Of just your choices, I'd get the KR21. People here seem to like them, they have at least one cheerleader around here who'll probably chime in. The nice thing about 15" wheels is that you can get some great tires cheaply.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I have owned both Kumhos and Toyos and have been pleased with both. I wouldn't buy the Toyos again if I didn't have winter wheels/tires as they were a very hard compound and didn't do well in the snow.

The Toyos have a UTQG of 620 A B and the Kumhos 680 A B, so they are fairly close in that respect.

I would go with either Yokohama AVID TOURING-S (UTQG 640 A B) at $69 or Hankook Optimo H727 (UTQG 700 A B) at $77. I have both tires and I like Hankook a little better with better tread life warranty.

Originally Posted By: Knight_Owl

The Toyos have a UTQG of 620 A B and the Kumhos 680 A B, so they are fairly close in that respect.

I believe the UTQG treadwear number is manufacturer specific, so comparing two different brands may be misleading.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Originally Posted By: Knight_Owl

I believe the UTQG treadwear number is manufacturer specific, so comparing two different brands may be misleading.

+1

I'd go Kumho, hated the Toyo's I've had.

If you want long treadlife, the ecoSolus HM KR22's have a 100,000 mile treadlife warranty, and plenty of good reviews on TireRack to boot. These tires are very affordable as well.

Kumho eco Solus HM KR22

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Neither. these.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...romCompare1=yes

Those tires only have a 440 treadwear. I would want something to last longer on a mini van.

And too, those General Altimax HP don't come in the size that the OP needs(205-65-15) although their prices seem reasonable in the sizes shown.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would go with either Yokohama AVID TOURING-S (UTQG 640 A B) at $69 or Hankook Optimo H727 (UTQG 700 A B) at $77. I have both tires and I like Hankook a little better with better tread life warranty.

We have the Hankook Optimo H727(mazda3) and like'm very much and 3-4 of our friends/family have the Kumho Solus KR-21 on a variety of vehicles including minivans, SUV's and sedans and all love'm too!

Originally Posted By: AlienBug

There is little point in having a Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTGQ) that is set by the US Department of Transport (DOT) to enable comparisons to be made if it is Manufacturer Specific! The operative word here is Uniform....

Where do you guys get these crazy ideas..........

The notion that the UTQG tread wear number is manufacturer-specific has been around for ages, and I agree, it's counter to the very point of the program. Its aim is to provide a uniform grade for any tire tested.

That said, the tread wear ratings ARE often misleading. There may be some variability in how different tire manufacturers test their tires...the test may allow for a few different testing methods for example (I don't know). From that standpoint there may, indirectly, be some manufacturer-specific differences. But the program isn't explicitly set up that way, at least not to my knowledge.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The notion that the UTQG tread wear number is manufacturer-specific has been around for ages, and I agree, it's counter to the very point of the program. Its aim is to provide a uniform grade for any tire tested.

That said, the tread wear ratings ARE often misleading. There may be some variability in how different tire manufacturers test their tires...the test may allow for a few different testing methods for example (I don't know).......

Well, I know and there is a prescribed test that MUST be run and the procedure MUST be followed.

Where the quirk is that the test method requires a comparison to the SRTT - Standard Reference Test Tire - that only comes in a smallish passenger car size (I think it is 225/60R16) - and it has to be fitted to identical vehicles.

So what if the tire doesn't come in a size that will fit a passenger car?

Well, NHTSA will allow a chain of comparisons, so long as it gets back to the SRTT! That creates opportunities.

Plus, the rule only says you can not OVER-state the rating. UNDER-stating is OK.

Thanks CapriRacer. I suspected that there was some variability/allowance in how the number was generated, but it looks like the testing itself is locked down pretty tight. I guess there's room for "interpretation" when trying to extrapolate and compare the data to the reference tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back