Lubegard red-how good is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched the forum and cannot find anything negative about Lubegard red. Plenty of good comments.

Apparently it is the real deal to maintain older or weaker automatic transmissions. Anyone with pro or con comments?

I'm presently quite happy with my current concoction (see below), although I must also give credit to a partial fluid exchange using MaxLife ATF. I was starting to have issues with hard shifts - but not since the introduction of the Lubegard Red + MaxLife.

After reading much of the same favorable commentary about the Red, I laid in a supply direct from Lubegard.

And at the moment, I feel blessed!

I added it to my Mazda3's five speed automatic. Helped smooth out the sifting and quieted down transmission whine, if I remember right...

It's in two of my fleet's trannys. I had a delay going into Reverse in my Aerostar, I had it for years. I did a 1000 mile run with MMO added to the tranny fluid, a pan drop and line flush. I refilled with Castrol ATF and LG red the delay is gone.

Using it in both my vehicles. Considering the stop and go traffic they are now subjected to in higher ambient temperatures, I think it does a good job keeping the fluid cooler. Previously, the ATF would have a slightly burnt smell to it, and would come out darker.
thumbsup2.gif

It's working well in my Buick's 4T65 transmission to smooth out some rough shifting. It also reduced the delay into reverse I had.

Based on everything I've observed in my own car and read online, it's the real deal for older GM transmissions.

I was going to put Lubegard red in my BMW this morning. Not simple as I have no dipstick or a lift. I was hoping to suck 10 OZ of fluid out (replace with Lubegard) through the fill plug on the side of the pan as I thought the level would be below the opening.

However, when the trany is cold fluid tended to run out when I started lossening the plug. Thought about draining some out via the drain plug but not sure if this would even work. BTW, this car must be level, at a specific temperature to check fluid level.

Think I will have my BMW mechanic run the codes on the trany and add teh lubegard.

I have added it to my 2004 Nissan Xterra, it took a couple 100 miles to smooth out the transmission but it did.

I added it to my 2002 Ford Taurus, 1998 F-150, and my Sister's 2001 Ford Taurus. All of them shift smoothly.
I serviced all of them with Maxlife or in the case of the F-150 Maxlife and a bit of Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle.

I have also added it to the transmission on a Dodge short bus. It had ancient fluid in it and after discussing it we decided to do a partial drain and fill along with a pan drop. Afterwards we added Lubegard Red, the combination of the two really smoothed out the shifts.
Unfortunately a few months later the Dodge 316 8cyl engine threw a rod while going 70 on the highway. (The owner had flogged the bus for over 3 hours at 70.) And after that the van was toast.
But the transmission held up and got them off the road with 7 cylinders.

If your application fits under Lubegard's discription of what Lubegard Red should be used for then I say USE IT!
The stuff really seems to be the real deal.
You don't see much of that in the Additive world.

Very good product IMO, I'd say use it. Using it in two Corolla's and our Fusion presently.

+1 on what SuperDave said, you don't see much of this as far as additives go.

Love it! I've used 3 lubegard products: LG Red, LG PSF protectant, and LG engine flush. All performed really well. Very happy with the results. Most noticeable difference was from LG PSF protectant. You probably won't notice any difference with LG Red in a well maintained transmission. I use it as a peace of mind and if I ever have to go max recommended OCI I wouldn't have to worry too much.

I have 2 bottles of LG Red in my Impala and it shifts smooth as silk. I would usually only use one bottle as directed but decided to go with two with the original Dex 3 ATF in my 8K original mile 04 SS. LG said it was fine to use two bottles...

I have used their products for years.

The trans additives and power steering additives work.

I have it in mine, and my MB mechanic used it in my old 87 300E. He swears by it.And so does my independent atra transmission shop.So that must mean something right there.

going in on Friday. May do a partial drain and fill at same time as my curent fill has only 18,000 mile on it. I am using valvoline Dexron VI

Last edited:
I was a a local transmission shop yesterday to pick up some bits and pieces i ordered from sonnax.The shop has been there since 1956 and has a very good reputation.On the shelf in the shop are open cases of LG,not for sale but what they use in every unit they rebuild and install if applicable.

To me that means at least it does no harm,i have used it in every tranny since i started working on them with no issues.
GM recommended it for problematic Saab units in a TSB so the stuff has some merit.
whether or not the stuff has any benefit at all when used in something like Amsoil,Redline,Mobil 1 or other full synthetic ATF is another question,i have no idea.
My gut says it probably makes a regular fluid better but probably not with a full synthetic but the gut feeling is basically worthless as there are no facts to back it up.

Originally Posted By: Russell
going in on Friday. May do a partial drain and fill at same time as my curent fill has only 18,000 mile on it. I am using valvoline Dexron VI

Drained 10 oz of fluid and add 10 oz of Lubegard red. We shall see.

Had my bmw shop run all the cars codes to see if there were any issues. They found an EGS-06 intervention siginal from slip control module. Apparenlty this is not transmission related. It is related to the traction control I think?

Drained 10 oz of fluid and add 10 oz of Lubegard red. We shall see.

Had my bmw shop run all the cars codes to see if there were any issues. They found an EGS-06 intervention siginal from slip control module. Apparenlty this is not transmission related. It is related to the traction control I think?

I just put Lubegard red in my BMW Only 40 miles and an overnight soak. However it seems to shift smoother.

Depending on your system capacity, 10 oz. may be on the shy side. As a friendly reminder, check that you've added at least 1oz. of the Red for every spec'ed quart of ATF. It might not hurt to add another 10 oz. bottle as Lubegard says you can't overdose it (within reason).

Originally Posted By: RnR
Depending on your system capacity, 10 oz. may be on the shy side. As a friendly reminder, check that you've added at least 1oz. of the Red for every spec'ed quart of ATF. It might not hurt to add another 10 oz. bottle as Lubegard says you can't overdose it (within reason).

Thanks, I should be ok as my total fill capacity, including torque converter, is 8.8 liters/9.3 quarts. Even so, I wish I has added another 10 oz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back