Best gun oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently discovered that Mobil 1 5W-40 is a great firearms lube for applications where something more than a very light lube is required. The slide on a 1911 is a great example.

Shooters Choice FP10 for cleaning, lube and protection of all my pistols, rifles and shotguns. I used to use separate cleaners, oils and grease, but gradually just went with the simpler 1 product method. FP10 used to have a really active web forum and the owner was a participant. He sent me a free sample and I've never looked back. Smells like cinnamon too.

I do keep a small spray bottle of Break Free in my shooter's bag. During long sporting clay or skeet days when my Browning Gold gas gun gets shot about 400 shells without cleaning, I'll hose the gas piston with BF to keep it running smooth.

Last edited:
Quote:
FP10 used to have a really active web forum and the owner was a participant. He sent me a free sample and I've never looked back. Smells like cinnamon too.

You should know that George left MPC some years ago and is now making Weapon Shield via a different company.

I have recently been introduced 'FrogLube" by the guys at the Sig academy. They rave about it and I have heard that new Sigs come with a sample of it, and no longer TW-25b
Stuff is made from food grade items and smells like wintergreen. Seems to work very well.

Originally Posted By: HyperJinx
My vote is MPRO7 bore cleaner and lubes.

same here I use MPRO7 on my GLOCKS and other smaller arms,
and I use (currently) mil-spec grease on my AK's and other assault weapons.

I can't find it but there was lab results from weapons tested with consistent MPRO use someplace online that showed how well MPRO actually works compared to others.

Originally Posted By: Thingfish
I have recently been introduced 'FrogLube" by the guys at the Sig academy. They rave about it and I have heard that new Sigs come with a sample of it, and no longer TW-25b
Stuff is made from food grade items and smells like wintergreen. Seems to work very well.

I have requested an MSDS. Hopefully they will send one.

I got an MSDS from Froglube. About the only interesting thing is Polyalpha-olefin CAS# 66070-54-0
Specific gravity .095 which is slightly heavy. Prepared 2004 so it's been around a while.

I think old Hoppes No. 9 (since 1903?) is still a good gun cleaner. I use it outside and not in the house. Hoppes Elite gun cleaner I think is better, but it is expensive and I use it only in the bore and on the part of my S&W M&P near the striker. There is a nylon part there that should not get any oil, grease, or solvent on it. And Hoppes Elite gun cleaner removes all oil, grease, and carbon. High powered rifles might occasionally need a good copper remover for the bore.

I think Rem Oil is too thin. I prefer either Breakfree or Hoppes Elite gun oil for my gun. I am starting to prefer Hoppes Elite gun oil because Breakfree is really expensive and I clean and lubricate my gun after every time I shoot it, so the gun oil should not matter that much.

I am starting to get pretty fond of Hoppes products. Old Hoppes No. 9 solvent just keeps coming back, bad smell or not. And Hoppes gun oils seem good enough. And Hoppes Elite gun cleaner is definitely a good product. Hoppes even has a copper remover in their Elite lineup that can remove copper from rifle bores. But I have not tried it. It does not make use of ammonia.

Yeah I just bought a quart of Hoppes #9. It plain hiney works. I cleaned four hand guns in record time on Sunday - not much else cuts powder residue so well. I'll stick with a variety of oils, but for all initial cleaning, it's Hoppes.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Yeah I just bought a quart of Hoppes #9. It plain hiney works. I cleaned four hand guns in record time on Sunday - not much else cuts powder residue so well. I'll stick with a variety of oils, but for all initial cleaning, it's Hoppes.

I used hoppes, until somebody showed me the light....lol

I took there advice and bought the MPRO, and was on my way to test it.
I got home and cleaned 1 handgun (S&W) and 1 rifle (Ruger10-22)very well with the hoppes, than left them sit over night and cleaned them both again the next day with MPRO, the patches came out almost as dirty as the pre-hoppes patch with all the build up that he hoppes had left behind...I WAS AMAZED. From that point I ordered a gallon of MPRO7 and have used there products ever since.

I also had a GLOCK 30 barrel that had been long term neglected by the PO for 11 years, it had such a build up on the feed ramp and in the rifeling just outside the chamber that I could not scrape it away with a dental pic and hoppes or tetra solvent, I left it soak in a tub of MPRO for 5 days and than was able to remove it with an elastic bore brush.

just my $0.02

Last edited:
Sounds like hype to me. More like some dirty oil ran back in the bore.

I may try your experiment as well. How much is this MPRO stuff?

$86 gallon - WOW.

$10 for 4 oz. - WHOA

Hoppes works REALLY well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Sounds like hype to me. More like some dirty oil ran back in the bore.

I may try your experiment as well. How much is this MPRO stuff?

$86 gallon - WOW.

$10 for 4 oz. - WHOA

Hoppes works REALLY well.

just try it,

hype would be if I'm a salesman.

Mpro cleaner (same thing as hoppes elite) works well but I think MC-25 from Mil-comm works even better. Just be ready with the $$$$.

Simple green full strength has worked well for me on individual parts. Let them soak FULLY SUBMERGED for as long as you like. I've left steel parts like this for weeks with no problems. Relube quickly after removing.

For typical cleaning I just use the WS.

Works great as a chapstik replacement!!

Just because it is made from "food grade" lubricants doesn't mean you want to be ingesting it.

Pablo like Tempest said the MPRO7 and Hoppes Elite are the same. If you can get the Hoppes Elite gun cleaner as a gel it lasts longer than the spray. I can find Hoppes Elite gun cleaner and Hoppes Elite gun oil at Wal-Mart stores here but the other Hoppes products I cannot find except for Hoppes No. 9. Heck, I can't find regular Hoppes No. 9 oil anymore around here.

Online at the Hoppes website you can actually buy a gallon of the Hoppes Elite gun cleaner. I don't know how much it costs. They also have a Hoppes Elite copper remover that should be safer to use than ammonia based products.

I am careful with my S&W M&P 9 mm when cleaning it because 2 different guys who took the S&W M&P armorers course and also a gunsmith told me that there is a nylon part in the striker assembly that should not have any oil, grease, or solvent on it. I think good old Hoppes No. 9 will clean a gun good enough but I use the Hoppes Elite gun cleaner around the area where the striker assembly is and I like using the Hoppes Elite in the bore before I clean with Hoppes No. 9. If I had a Baretta 9 mm like what they use in the military, I would clean the entire gun with Hoppes No. 9.

I care too much for myself and my guns to clean my guns with carb cleaner or brake cleaner.

And I simply do not believe in magic gun cleaners and magic gun oils. A lot of the fancy stuff that costs a lot just has something like clorinated parrafins in it. The Hoppes Elite stuff is pretty good though.

I don't know how Hoppes got the MPRO7 stuff, but I did find out they are the same. I guess Hoppes got some sort of contract with the company that makes MPRO7.

According to what I have heard MPRO7 was developed at first as a cleaner for fighter aircraft. Before the aircraft were painted they needed a safe cleaner that could be used to clean the aircraft indoors and not harm the workers. And also a cleaner that would not leave behind a film on the aircraft.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Works great as a chapstik replacement!!

Just because it is made from "food grade" lubricants doesn't mean you want to be ingesting it.

The Froglube salesmen at the SHOT show did it... Trying to prove it is food grade, non toxic or harmful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back