Best bike for a newb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the recent deep need for a bike. I've only driven a bike for a day and about 100 miles, all on a shadow 750. Since then I've needed one.

I know that 100 miles wouldn't be enough to pick that as a good bike, as much as I liked it. I did find it heavy and a little unruly when I was trying to take off.

I'm open to model and manufacturer, under $3k so looking at late 90s to early 00s. Something not to enormous and easy to handle. Prefer something more harley looking and less "crotch rockety"

Honda Shadow VT600C?

Honda%20VT600C%20Shadow%20VLX%2002.jpg

Suzuki SV650? Not harley looking or crotch rockety, just a regular bike. About 430 pounds wet which is about 100 less than the 750 you rode, but has a higher seat.
SV650K8_Gray_5f5f69.jpg

Last edited:
Don't fall for the "you need 250cc" thing. Around here those used bikes are going for more than their larger brethren. And depending on their gearing they can be buzzy at 60 instead of comfortable. Just don't get a twitchy sportbike that starts making tons of power when it gets up on the cam.

Even the Nighthawk 250 at my MSF course felt extremely heavy compared to the moped I had been used to riding.
wink.gif

Am quite fond of my Virago (cruiser style) and they make/made them in the whole spectrum of engine sizes. But then as my first bike I have nothing to compare it to.

used sportster 883's are all over the place for cheap. can't get more 'harley looking' than a real harley.

Originally Posted By: toyotapriusguy

I'm open to model and manufacturer, under $3k so looking at late 90s to early 00s. Something not to enormous and easy to handle. Prefer something more harley looking and less "crotch rockety"

Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD.
smile.gif

My wife bought me a used 2004 Harley Sportster 1200 for Christmas 2010.I had never driven a motor cycle before in my life.Jumped on it as soon as she gave it to me and now have 2500 miles.Very easy to drive(can not compare it to anything else..lol)It is smaller than any of the other bikes I had been looking at in the 800-900cc range.My vote is a Sportster.

Originally Posted By: Jjones
My wife bought me a used 2004 Harley Sportster 1200 for Christmas 2010.I had never driven a motor cycle before in my life.Jumped on it as soon as she gave it to me and now have 2500 miles.Very easy to drive(can not compare it to anything else..lol)It is smaller than any of the other bikes I had been looking at in the 800-900cc range.My vote is a Sportster.

That thing weighs even more than that 750 Honda the OP tried. Not sure it's a good beginner bike, but I'm glad to hear you like yours. I started out on a bike that weighed about half of what your 1200 weighs.
smile.gif
Then again, I'm light and short. Larger folks may have no problem.

Yeah, the Honda Shadow 750 is good, so is the Yamaha V-Star. Both reliable bikes, don't weigh too much either. I have a 2009 V-Star 650 Classic and it's all I need. Full size bike with the classic cruiser look. Being new to riding going with the lighter bike is a smart idea. The V-star weighs 550lbs. Harley Sportsters are about the same weight I think, but will cost more.

There are PLENTY of NINJA 250s around as the owners "Trade UP" to a bigger bike. They are 299lbs and capable of Freeway speeds. They DO NOT have the "sportbike" rider position that taxes your forearms and spine.

My wife has one and I have done 800 mile trips across TEXAS on it with no problem. 51mpg @ 75mph all day long. Very nice, nimble bike. She never has wanted to trade up as the little NINJA can beat a Z28 Camaro at the stoplight Grand Prix, good enough for her.

The NINJA 500s and 650s are not bad either. The 650 is light for it's class and has a "standard" rider position also.

Quote:
I've only driven a bike for a day and about 100 miles
Take the beginner riding course. Two days. Smart.

Buy and read David L. Hough's More Proficient Motorcycling.

Check out from your library (maybe inter-library loan) and read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist - II and note his "Survival Reactions" that are natural, instinctive, and WRONG! (Not the original Twist of the Wrist, get the "TOTW - II")

Sit on a lot of bikes at motorcycle dealers. Decide what kind of riding you want to do...dirt, paved & unpaved roads, neighborhoods, freeway.... Identify which bikes fit you. Not all the bikes you might like fit each of us, and there are limited adjustment options.

Now come back here and other motorcycle forums and ask which you should buy. Probably stick to a Japanese bike for low maintenance costs.

Buy and wear ATGATT, all the gear all the time. Protective boots. Armored pants. Armored coat. (Pants & coat can be armored mesh for summer.) Protective motorcycle gloves. Full face helmet that fits the shape of your head just right.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
... Just don't get a twitchy sportbike that starts making tons of power when it gets up on the cam.

When you say "twitchy", are you referring to the handling or the power delivery?

The only "twitchy" handling sport-bike I've ever owned was an '89 ZX600C aka Ninja 600R.
The 120/16 front and 140/16 rear was a little on the twitchy side. I prefer the term "quick handling".
The GSX600F Katana was very stable by comparison. The only reason I would hesitate to recommend one is that it has a 3000 mi valve adjustment interval and it is quite a bit on the porky side.
I still recommend the Suzuki GS500E/GS500F.
It has enough power to run away from 97% of cars on the road...the other 3% you probably don't want to mess with anyway...but not enough power that you'll accidently find the front tire hoisted in 3rd gear at speed. Power delivery is linear. [heck] I don't think you could accidently wheelie in 2nd on a GS500
It has a soft comfortable mostly flat seat and an upright seating position.
It is stable at speed, handles well, and has none of the floppy front wheel effect that a lot of cruisers have at low speed.
The 2-valve aircooled engine is absolutely durable and easy to maintain.
Dropping a $3000 Suzuki is a lot less financially painful than dropping a $9000 Sportster.

The front fork springs are a little on the soft side on the 'Zook. They usually are on small Suzukis. Not as soft as the springs in the Nighthawk 250 which were obviously leftover from "click" type ballpoint pens.

I started on a Honda VTX1800R.... Why buy a bike you are going to out grow in a year or two.

Shadows and 883's are for girls!!!

Nothing wrong with that Honda Shadow 750 you already know a bit about.
Other, older models good for starting out:

Kawazaki 454 LTD,
Any Honda Shadow,
Similar bikes from Suzuki (GS or Gl), Yamaha, or KawazakiLTD.
Honda has several CB (street bikes) that would work.

Check Graig's list.

The 454LTD will run good on the highway. Even the VLX600, if geared up a tooth will go fine on the open road.
Other than the 454, any 600cc and up should last a few years before you might out grow it.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: OnTheFence
Why buy a bike you are going to out grow in a year or two.

So that you can learn on it and become more comfortable and confident without being overwhelmed by too much weight or too much power or both.

First, everything Ken2 says is on the money
cheers3.gif

Spazdog mentions the GS500. I have a '96 which I bought in 2003 I believe, my first and only bike.

It is not particularly fast as motorcycles go but is very fast compared to a car. It'll smoke my Saab 9-5 Aero. It will not do a wheelie without some exceptional effort on the part of the rider.

It's lightweight, has a comfy riding position, and as he says handles very well. It's just an easy bike to ride. I highly recommend it as a first bike. It's also fun if you're mechanically inclined, easy to work on with great resources online. Those soft fork springs are a popular target for upgrades.

As for "growing out of it", well that's up to the individual. One guarantee - start small and you'll never have to worry about your bike being too big or powerful for you. You can always sell your bike and buy something bigger. If you can't financially afford to do that, I suggest finding another hobby.

jeff

Basically what the last two people said, Kaw EX 500 or Suzuki GS 500. As for small cruisers,my first bike was a Kaw 454 Ltd. I found the front wheel to be so raked out/ lightly weighted, that it was scary on the highway. I rode it for a couple of months before moving to a Honda CB 750 Nighthawk. The EX 500 has bascially the same engine, which I thought was great.

I really only posted to suggest the possibility of a dual sport bike. If you have the inseam for it, a 400 - 650 cc dual sport makes a very good starter bike. The Suzuki DR 650, DR-Z 400 S and KLR 650 are fine starter bikes. They have been ridden around the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back