Using rotella diesel oil in a gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if it will harm the engine. It's 5w-30. The car it's going into is a 2000 ford mustang gt with a 4.6 2v engine. I got it free and will only be for 1 oci. Thanks for the responses.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I am wondering if it will harm the engine. It's 5w-30. The car it's going into is a 2000 ford mustang gt with a 4.6 2v engine. I got it free and will only be for 1 oci. Thanks for the responses.

One OCI whatever the mileage 3k or 5k or ..., not 1k miles OCI.

I've been using nothing but diesel-rated oils since about 30,000 miles.

No problems to report.

used Rotella 5W-40 in my Jeeps and now they are currently running 15W-40. no problem
thumbsup2.gif

Rotella has a 5w-30? I thought they had a 10w-30 and a 5w-40, do you mean one of those?

In any case, if the label says it's OK for gasoline engines, it will be OK, but if you do have the 5w-40, you might want to thin it out a bit with maybe some Marvel Mystery Oil or a quart of some lighter gasoline engine oil in a 20w range.

Just as a matter of fact....The last time I used 15w40 Rotella in my '67 Pontiac, I'm sure the container had a print saying that it was suitable for use in 2001 and older vehicles. So here's an extra vote of confidence.

I've mixed blends of Rotella 15w40 and Formula Shell 5w20 (Dino), PYB 5w20 or QSUD synthetic 5w20, Chevron Delo 15w40 and Havoline 5w20, Mobil Delvac 15w40 and Mobil EP 5w20 or Advanced Auto 5w20 Synthetic for many of the oil changes that I did last month and early this month.

The mix was usually 50/50 or 60/40 of Diesel to Dino or Synthetic auto oil. I used NAPA Gold, P1 and Purolator Classic Oil Filters for each vehicle. I tried to oversize the filter if I could find the application conversion.

All the Family, Neighbors and Friends vehicles are "Gasoline" engines. All of the Diesel Oils were API-SM, CJ-4 rated and all of the vehicles were 2006 and earlier.

When I get back to Coney Island I will change my oil to a blend of Shell Rotella, Triple Protection 15w40 and Formula Shell 5w20 all in API-SM. I plan on using 3 quarts of each in the sump for a 6 month run.

Lots of Stop and Go traffic and short trips in NYC so this blend of oil should help clean the engine and give them added protection. I've had nothing but compliments from all of these people about how their cars, suvs and mini vans are running.

Last edited:
Once you've tried it, you might want to change over to using it exclusively. I did.

When passenger car oils were reformulated several years ago and there was all the controversy about zinc being reduced as an anti-wear additive, I decided to try HDEO instead of the synthetic I had been using since the 1980s. I figured that I'd try to keep an oil with the same additive strengths that regular oils used when my cars were new instead of going with the reformulation - and HDEOs sold on Walmart shelves were a convenient way to do that. I tried Rotella 5w40 synthetic (now called T6) and had excellent UOAs with clean, quiet engines. I've been using it and their new 10w30 synthetic blend (called T5) ever since.

I'm using Chevron Delo 15w40 in my truck. Raised the oil pressure some, but nothing else noticeable. Found it last year on sale for $8 / gallon. Couldn't pass it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back