Purolator Classic any good???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to purchase a filter for my Civic and this filter was on sale and cheaper than anything else, including the Driveworks brand. I bought it not realizing the Pure One was much better. My question is, does the Classic provide exceptional filtering for my 1.8L motor? I plan on changing it around every 15K miles, but want to keep the car a long time and would like the best protection (within reason). I'd rather not do the expensive K&N's, but if the Fram Extra Guard (4 dollars more than Classic) or Pure One are much better filters, I'd like to know... Oh, and what about Honda OEM? I know it's more expensive, but is it "best"?

Edit: BTW, my driving habits are extremely conservative, and it sees about 70 hwy/30 city and some roads are a little dusty (so much road construction going on), but I wouldn't consider it severe.

I'd say the Purolator Classic is very good. I use it on the wife's Camry. Would I let it go 15K? Probably not but that's just my 2 cents.
Is the Pure One that much better? IDK, but I have a feeling it is a subjective thing and you are going to get varying opinions.

Last edited:
The Purolator Classis is a great filter, but for 15K? I wouldn't do it. I'd take my chances on the Pure One or especially the Fram Extended Guard up to 15K however......

Oh, I didn't know the Classic shouldn't be pushed passed 15K. That's fine with me, just glad I know now. I don't care for extending intervals for anything, so that's cool. I'll change it every other OC if that's the case (10 - 12K miles). My biggest concern was the quality from 0 - 12K and if anything else offered better protection during that time.

Doesn't honda recommend 10k changes with a new OE filter every other change?

I would go for it, the classic meets OE specs.

The classic is great. The Honda 4bangers, D17 or R18 or L15 are probably the only engines I think it could do 15,000 on. The only thing it lacks from the PureOne are the silicone ADBV which probably won't matter in the "southeast usa" and some filtering efficiency.

If it were mine, it would probably get 7500 to 10,000 mile oil changes with a filter every time.

I'd say the Purolator Classic is a really fine filter. The only real major difference between the Pure One and the Classic is the Classic uses a Nitrile ADBV and gasket while the P1 uses Silicone. There are a few more pleats in the Pure 1 filter when compared to the Classic. Those are the only noticeable differences between the 2 filter.

Lots of people, including myself, like to use the Classic on some applications since, IMO, the oil flow is less restrictive that the P1. Maybe it's just a feeling about the oil flow....but I do like the Classic for heavier oil and the P1 for lighter oils.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I'd say the Purolator Classic is a really fine filter. The only real major difference between the Pure One and the Classic is the Classic uses a Nitrile ADBV and gasket while the P1 uses Silicone. There are a few more pleats in the Pure 1 filter when compared to the Classic. Those are the only noticeable differences between the 2 filter.

Lots of people, including myself, like to use the Classic on some applications since, IMO, the oil flow is less restrictive that the P1. Maybe it's just a feeling about the oil flow....but I do like the Classic for heavier oil and the P1 for lighter oils.

I'm sorry, but I either didn't explain my self better, or am extremely ignorant with Purolator filters. I was actually talking about an air filter in this post.... sorry for any confusion.

15K miles is nothing for an air filter.

I got the exact car (2007 Civic EX) with a hair under 100K miles and I've been doing 40K mile air filter changes with either a Fram or Purolator air filter.

Why spend more money on a Honda air filter when you can get a Wix, Fram, Purolator...etc for less and it does the same thing ?

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek

I'm sorry, but I either didn't explain my self better, or am extremely ignorant with Purolator filters. I was actually talking about an air filter in this post.... sorry for any confusion.

Speaking for myself my bad, I feel like an idiot. I guess I just ASSumed you were talking oil filters. When I reread your first post I see I didn't do very well in reading comprehension. Sorry!

That being said I'd say either can go 15K easily. I like to change my air filters yearly regardless of mileage - which usually works out to about 15K - 25K a year.
I live in an area were there is a fair amount of wind and several desert cities are close by that I visit frequently.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: tpattgeek

Speaking for myself my bad, I feel like an idiot. I guess I just ASSumed you were talking oil filters. When I reread your first post I see I didn't do very well in reading comprehension. Sorry!

That being said I'd say either can go 15K easily. I like to change my air filters yearly regardless of mileage - which usually works out to about 15K - 25K a year.
I live in an area were there is a fair amount of wind and several desert cities are close by that I visit frequently.

Yours made pretty good sense to me. It was most of the others that talked about the ADBV's I was confused about. I had to double-check to make sure I was in the air filter section. Maybe people just love their oil filter discussions.
smile.gif

Since you already have it, I'd run that Classic as long as Honda says to and then change it out to whatever floats your boat at the time.

Sorry, I got swayed by the crowd enthusiasm and thought that this was about the great Classic Purolator oil filter.

IMO....I've used the Classic in the plain Jane white box, with great results in the past, for 30K miles. I now use the Fram Air Hog reusable filter and have had very good results with the Fram. You can get the Fram on Amazon for a great price, if they have one for your vehicle. The only drawback to the Fram is the difficulty in finding the cleaner and oil for this Fram filter.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
The Purolator Classis is a great filter, but for 15K? I wouldn't do it. I'd take my chances on the Pure One or especially the Fram Extended Guard up to 15K however......

He was talking about air filters, not oil filters.

Meh, I made the mistake of buying a Purolator Classic air filter a few thousand miles ago. I should have used my brain more. If I had, I never would have even installed it. The seal was significantly harder than OEM, and it seems smaller as well. The seal was also not very evenly molded, meaning that unless it was squeezed into the housing tightly enough, it wouldn't seal. I have no idea if it in fact does get squeezed well enough to seal. I've been uncomfortable with it all this time and I'm going to rip that piece of garbage out and replace it very soon.

glum,

That's the deal with almost all aftermarket air filters - if they fit/seal well your good to go and save quite a bit of money. I just bought two Purolator filters on sale at Pepboys + a $5 rebate, a sweet deal. Purolators air filters have fit three of my last four cars very well. I test fit them first and if they don't fit/seal well I return it.

Actually I found I could get OEM filters for a pretty competitive price ($20.68) at my nearest dealer. These are Mahle if I remember correctly. They're of a really nice quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back