Harley has sat for 2 years.. what oil to run now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have run Amsoil in the bike for years. Between work and having kids I have not touched the bike for 2 yeras. If I do a 1000 miles this year it will be alot. I do not feel like spending the money on Amsoil and a Harley Dealer is like 40 minutes away does Auto Zone carry a good Dino oil to run in the Bike a 2001 Heritage Softail.. Thanks

I have mobil v twin 20w50 in mine.Oreillys has it for $7.99 they also have mobil 1 15w50 for $5.00.Because of the research done here I will be using valvoline vr1 20w50 next $2.49 on sale.All the parts stores have Dino motorcycle specific oils for around $4.00.The Havoline 20w50 also seems like a favorite.

I don't see the JASO MA on any of the 15W-50 oils. Lots of people seem to use those in motorcycle engines, but unless I see the JASO MA on the back of the label I won't use it.

Ducati's air-cooled V-Twins are spec'd to run a synthetic 10W-40, I don't see any reason to run 15W-50.

Harley's are speced to use 10/40 wt oil when the temps are below 40f. I use Valvoline VRO 20/50 in the motor, Rotella t in the primary, and any cheap GL-5 rated gear oil in the trans. You can read the UOA'S here, and see the VRO oil gets high marks, plus its alot easier on the wallet the the boutique oils.,,

Originally Posted By: metroplex
I don't see the JASO MA on any of the 15W-50 oils. Lots of people seem to use those in motorcycle engines, but unless I see the JASO MA on the back of the label I won't use it.

Ducati's air-cooled V-Twins are spec'd to run a synthetic 10W-40, I don't see any reason to run 15W-50.

A Harley has separate oils for the engine,primary,and trans.On a Sporster there are only two places for oil:engine and trans/primary.A jaso ma is not needed for the engine.I have read in many places it is not good to run a gl-5 oil in the trans,can someone clarify this?And Harleys are spec'd for 20w50 and if the temp never goes below 70 my manual calls for sae50.In much cooler weather a 5/10/15w40.

Shell's website shows Rotella T 15W-50 as being JASO MA. So is their T6 (synthetic).

I just switched from m/c synthetics to Valvoline VR1 20W-50 dino racing oil after researching OUA's on other Harleys. It holds up really well (even under Twin Cam heat) and costs the same as most other PCMO's, i.e. around $4/qt. As mentioned, you can also catch it on sale for about $2.50/qt every now & then...

Valvoline Max-Life 20W-50 is another good choice. Good friend of mine has been running semi-syn ML in his '06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic since new & it runs like a Swiss watch at almost 70k miles.

HDEO's like Rotella, Delvac, etc. are another excellent choice. When you can't get "Genuine H-D oil" it is listed as an alternate by the Motor Company.

JASO MA is a friction modifier specification. With HD having a dry clutch, (along with Guzzi, BMW, a few others), it's a moot point. Run the proper weight recommended by HD, and keep on riding.
FWIW, I have run a lot (gallons) of M1 15w50 in wet clutch bikes with nary an issue. It is a very good oil, but does shear to a 40 weight pretty quick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lost1

Shell's website shows Rotella T 15W-50 as being JASO MA. So is their T6 (synthetic).

Rotella T is 15w-40, not 15w-50.

Originally Posted By: beanoil

JASO MA is a friction modifier specification. With HD having a dry clutch, (along with Guzzi, BMW, a few others), it's a moot point. Run the proper weight recommended by HD, and keep on riding.
FWIW, I have run a lot (gallons) of M1 15w50 in wet clutch bikes with nary an issue. It is a very good oil, but does shear to a 40 weight pretty quick.

The Harley davidson clutches are bathed in oil,I thought that made them a wet clutch?I have a sportster and the clutch is in with the trans/primary fluid.On other Harleys the clutch is in with the primary fluid.

Can someone clear up the gl-5 in the trans?I thought gl-5 oil is too corrosive for trans(yellow metals).If it has a mt-1 rating does that mean it has no corrosive properties????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yeah, I know. Was in a hurry when I posted & didn't proofread. LOL

Originally Posted By: beanoil

Harleys come from the factory with wet clutches. Pull the primary cover off & you'll see...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yeah, I know. Was in a hurry when I posted & didn't proofread. LOL

Well, it's not really a matter of proof reading. If he wants a 50-weight oil, then nothing in the Rotella lineup will work.

Originally Posted By: Jjones

A Harley has separate oils for the engine,primary,and trans.On a Sporster there are only two places for oil:engine and trans/primary.A jaso ma is not needed for the engine.I have read in many places it is not good to run a gl-5 oil in the trans,can someone clarify this?And Harleys are spec'd for 20w50 and if the temp never goes below 70 my manual calls for sae50.In much cooler weather a 5/10/15w40.

It is absolutely fine to use a gear lube in a Harley transmission.

What you don't want to do is use a gear lube in a Sportster transmission, as this fluid is also shared with the clutch basket in the primary chaincase.

The reason is that gear lube may not be kind to yellow metals (brass, copper, etc) and the stator (lots of copper windings) is also in the primary chaincase. Another reason not to have gear lube in the primary chaincase is because it is unknown if the wet clutch will like it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe
Originally Posted By: Jjones

It is absolutely fine to use a gear lube in a Harley transmission.

What you don't want to do is use a gear lube in a Sportster transmission, as this fluid is also shared with the clutch basket in the primary chaincase.

The reason is that gear lube may not be kind to yellow metals (brass, copper, etc) and the stator (lots of copper windings) is also in the primary chaincase. Another reason not to have gear lube in the primary chaincase is because it is unknown if the wet clutch will like it.

The fluids that red line and others recommend for the sportster primary/ trans is a gear oil, but it is not gl-5.I believe it is gl-4.My understanding is only a gl-1 is needed.My question is:does most, if not all of today's motor oils in the 40-50 weight range meet the gl-1 specs.I know they don't have the official ratings but would they meet the standard for a gl-1?Many bikes share the motor oil with the trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back