Honda recommends 0w-20 - Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, a few quick questions:

I am an Amsoil user and typically use their oil and ea filters.

I recently bought a 2011 Honda Fit (rec's 0w-20) and a 2011 Honda Civic (rec's 5w-20)

I try to consolidate whenever possible, so would it be better to use Amsoil Sig Series 0w-20 or 5w-20 in BOTH cars? I guess I'm asking which ONE oil can I get away with in both cars?

Also, Amsoil doesn't seem to make a filter for these cars but I can get Wix filters pretty reasonably priced. Is Wix a good filter brand to go with?

Last edited:
0w-20.
I think Honda is pushing this in all their new cars. You sure the civic specs 5w-20? I thought most of honda's current lineup was 0w-20.

I'd use the 0w-20 to cover your bases with warranty. Ours specs 5w-20 and we've run 0w-20 in it for most of its time with us.

If your Fit is anything like our Fit, it'll run the oil about 10-12k miles before the maintenance minder trips to change the oil. We're right now at 11k miles with the maintenance minder at 20% oil life on Mobil 1 0w-20 and an M1 filter.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
I have a 2007 Fit and have never made it to 10-12K it always trips at around 6 mos.

That's 'cause you live in the NYC metro area.
grin.gif

Our '07 Fit trips at around 8K miles, and we live 50 miles from NYC. IN the city, you would be lucky to get 4K (all that stop-and-go).

+++++++++++++++
To get back to the OP, I would think that any oil with a "20" as the upper number would be OK and would meet warranty. I use 0W- or 5W-30 in our two Hondas because it is more readily available, on sale.

Looks like we're getting a 2011 base model FIT with the 5 speed auto . The oil cap said 5w-20 . Did notice there's not much space between the oil filler of valve cover and the cowl . Is it easy to pour oil in and what shaped funnel is best to pour oil in . Thanks

When did any of you drain the factory oil and change filter ? Plan to use PLATINUM 5w-20 or SHELL 5w-20 synthetic if it can be found .Will ask service department if the 0w-20 is fine for the FIT and get it in writing for warranty . What's the gas mileage you're gettng ? Please state if 5 speed auto or manual . Thanks again .

Originally Posted By: odie
When did any of you drain the factory oil and change filter ? Plan to use PLATINUM 5w-20 or SHELL 5w-20 synthetic if it can be found .Will ask service department if the 0w-20 is fine for the FIT and get it in writing for warranty . What's the gas mileage you're gettng ? Please state if 5 speed auto or manual . Thanks again .

I can speak for the two vehicles in my signature.... Honda and Toyota have back-spec'd 0w-20 for several vehicles. The Civic goes back to 2002 I believe. I've been using it in my 2007 with GREAT results. I'm going to use it in my 2010 Sienna as soon as my free oil changes run out. Use 0w-20 in BOTH vehicles. It will not void your warranty, and it will not let you down.

Called HONDA service and was told by head tech the 0w-20 is for the 2011 FIT . PLATINUM is the most likely for the future oil changes . The original oil filter is $7.50 . Ouch .

Be careful - Amsoil's 'signature series' oils aren't actually API-certified. If you need an API-certified oil for warranty/work or compliance, you may have problems.

However, Amsoils 'OE' 5W-20 and 'XL' 5W-20 are API-certified...and they will still easily do an OLM interval in a Fit.

Originally Posted By: gdawg
Hey all, a few quick questions:
I am an Amsoil user and typically use their oil and ea filters.
I recently bought a 2011 Honda Fit (rec's 0w-20) and a 2011 Honda Civic (rec's 5w-20)
I try to consolidate whenever possible, so would it be better to use Amsoil Sig Series 0w-20 or 5w-20 in BOTH cars? I guess I'm asking which ONE oil can I get away with in both cars?

The problem is that Amsoil doesn't make a light (HTHS 2.6cP) 20wt oil. Their 0W-20 is almost a 30wt oil with it's HTHS vis of 2.8cP and their lighter (HTHS 2.7cP) XLM 5W-20 is still heavier than spec', but if you must use an Amsoil product the best choice would be their XLM 5W-20 in both cars.

Not surprisingly, the idea choice for both Honda's would be the Honda Brand 0W-20. But any of the Japanese 0W-20's would work as their formulations are all similar.

Thank you everyone for some good feedback. To answer and comment on a few things:

-Good point on the Amsoil Sig not being API. I will definitely go with the OEM Amsoil, and it's much less $ also.

Therefore, I will do Amsoil's 0w-20 with Wix filters. With my driving (95% over the highway cruising), I should have good protection and results.

Originally Posted By: odie
The original oil filter is $7.50 . Ouch .

The OEM filters are available in 6 packs from many online dealers for less than $6 each. It's a good filter. (I have three Honda/Acuras in my family fleet so I buy in bulk.)

-As far as the factory fill, I've been told by numerous sources that I'd be screwing myself if I drained the "break in" oil before the maint. minder calls for it. The explanation was there's moly grease used during assembly for break in and should remain in the oil circulation for the full maint. minder period.

-MPG? My car has 800 miles on it, so it's got a long ways before truly breaking in. I just drove home from work (Los Angeles to Lake Havasu, 310 miles) and got 38 mpg with a careful foot averaging 74 mph. The A/C was on for the last 100 miles. Mine is a Fit Sport w/ Auto Trans.

I believe the mpg will increase a little with age.

Last edited:
I've been told the oem filters are made by the same co. as Fram. My Fit and the GF's Civic are probably going to get 10k oci's per the maint. minder. I'm not sure I want a Fram on there for that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back