SKF front wheel bearing hub assemblies - any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The alignment shop says I need to replace both front wheel bearing hubs and both tie rod ends in order to eliminate some slop in the steering/suspension. I'm changing the parts myself and then taking the car back to the shop for them to align it. RockAuto has the SKF hubs for about $121 each. Are they a good quality hub? Have you guys experienced any ill affects from that brand of hub?

SKF is an OEM supplier to many manufacturers. I've used them, no problems with the hubs on my Dakota.

Perhaps not a direct answer to your question, but I have used SKF bearings in the past with no problems (front wheel bearings on GM and Ford cars). Some of them have outlasted Timken bearings in the same application.

Had a set on my eta e30...worked great!

I'm pretty sure that you dont' need to replace the bearings in yoru front end to reduce slop...unless the bearings themselves are actually bad. They could be merely getting more $$ out of you.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
SKF is an OEM supplier to many manufacturers. I've used them, no problems with the hubs on my Dakota.

The OE and aftermarket line-ups are usually quite different. Just because a company has been an OE supplier to an automaker does not guarantee that their aftermarket line-up is good.

See Kesta's post here:

Quote:
The Federal-Mogul unit is aftermarket. I suspect the same is true with National. I can't comment on the quality of each brand because I'm not familiar with them. In general, aftermarket is always lower quality than OEM. Both with a price differential that can be as high as 4:1, it can be hard to justify buying OEM for an older car.

Our company makes both OEM and aftermarket automotive hub bearings. I qualify both. Our aftermarket business is booming.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...rue#Post1564304

Quote:
1. They are wrong. They market OEM and aftermarket, each has different performance criteria. They may have dropped what they called "value grade", but they are still marketing aftermarket hub bearings, and are working with China to source parts and hopefully source complete bearings. Because OEM is squeezing us dry with cost, performance, and warranty, our aftermarket program is booming profit-wise.

2. True. As with any manufacturer, many of the components are outsourced. For example, we have one bearing machined and assembled in the US from Korean forgings made from Japanese steel. Finding the percent foreign content of such product would be a nightmare, if not impossible. All automotive product (SKF-produced and outsourced) is tested in the lab I work at.

3. Hubs manufactured by SKF have numbers stamped on the flange edge.

I'm not an expert on the business dealing within our company. My expertise is more on the technical attributes of our product.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...rue#Post1596668

So, if you are planning to keep your car for as long as possible, I would search online for a GM parts wholesaler and purchase a new unit from a dealership.

the big-o tires I went to told me I needed new wheel bearings and wouldn't align my truck. I brought the truck to another shop and they aligned it dead perfect.
After that I ripped the wheels off, everything was tight. There was no slop, there was no scored bearings, no wheel shimmy it was 100% in perfect shape.
I'll never go back to there again.

Make it more interesting.. they never took the wheels off to inspect, it's a 4wheel drive.. they'd have to dig a little to get those bearings out.

But SKF is a very high quality brand.. I'd have no problems using 'em.

Sounds like you are being given the reach around. I dont think its your wheel bearings. Tie rods...you can jack up your car and shake your tires. See if any suspension parts move. If your bearings are bad....you would feel the wheel move on the hub.

I just went through the same dilemma with my 2000 Pontiac GP.
I went with SKF,the timkens looked okay but the skf model offered for my car was the heavy duty version with a larger outer race in the hub.
I am very happy so far,no noise or ABS codes.The quality and machining seem outstanding,they are made in U.S.A.
The key to longevity with these is correct torque on the axle nut. Approx 45 min per hub front and rear.

On the front just heat the bolts slightly from the thread side first as OEM has loctite red on the threads.
On the rear make sure to remove the e brake cable from the bracket behind the e brake plate first and install it last or the e brake hinge pin will not seat properly.

Yeah they're trying to screw you. If your wheel bearings have a enough slop to cause the vehicle not to track straight you'd hear the grinding.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Yeah they're trying to screw you. If your wheel bearings have a enough slop to cause the vehicle not to track straight you'd hear the grinding.

You'd think that, but not always. We had a PT Cruiser in that had a sloppy bearing (could wiggle the tire when gripping at the top and bottom) and the owner never complained of noise.

I would double check those wheel bearing/tie rod play first b4 buying anything

Why does Timken and National have the same part number?

Is SKF worth the extra money?

RockAuto_03.png

SEE FULL SIZE HERE:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/MACDRIVE/SCREEN SHOTS/RockAuto_03.png

That front one from SKF is the same part# as my car uses.
It is the new X Tracker Gen 3 hub.
This helped me make my decision,lot of marketing for sure but there seems to be some value in the design.
SKF claims these are 100K + units which if true is equal to or better than OEM.IMHO they are worth the extra money if you plan on keeping the car long term.
That being said any of these top shelf brands should work okay,its the $35 Chinese junk that cause most problems.
The grease SKF uses sounds like good stuff,from what they show on their video its propitiatory.

http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/Automotive/WheelEnd/~/link.aspx?_id=2F53E2A639934650BC40103FE9E679F2&_z=z

http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/Automotive/WheelEnd/PremiumHubUnits.aspx

http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/Automotive/WheelEnd/~/link.aspx?_id=CD700533CF4B4A9BB2A1B0C5887450EB&_z=z

AandPDan
2010_FX4
Stanley Rockerfeller
The Critic
EricF
190E26FTW
Trav
123Saab
tenderloin
gomes512
The_Eric
RH+G
JetStar

Thank You all very much for your help.
55.gif

I'd stick to Timken or SKF myself - all the Timken bearings I bought are reboxed Koyos. National is mostly from China now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back