Greasing CV joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone successfully greased CV joints by--using a grease needle inserted through the boot? If so, what type of grease did you use and why? John--Las Vegas.

The only reason you grease a CV joint is if the boot is broken/missing, and leaking grease, in which case you replace the boot along with all the grease.

That being said, not a good idea to use a needle as you have no idea what grease was used originally.

Some CVs use oil, not grease. MB CVs last about 30 years/250k miles with oil inside.

Well, as the vehicle is used in Nevada (no salt) I think I'll leave well enough alone and run it until the joints become too noisy. The boots look good (88 Cad Eldorado) and it has about 122,000 on it. Thanks for the input. John--Las Vegas.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
So your saying that they are making noise?? I.E going into a turn?
Yes, but on an intermittant basis. John--Las Vegas

This is what you can do if you want to extend the joints life.Take the large band clamp,the one at the wheel end,off.It will have to be cut off.Push the boot back toward the trans. enough to be able to see the inside of the joint.

If the boot is stuck,you may have to cut off the small band clamp too.

Clean out the grease that is in the joint with brake cleaner.Spray the cleaner in the joint and boot.Get all of the grease out that you can.Check the boot for grease too and remove any in it.

Clean out the brake cleaner that may be left,make sure the joint and boot are as dry as possible before adding the new grease.

Take a grease needle and put grease up into the joint around the ball bearings,do this at each bearing.Fill them up as much as possible.

Take you fingers,you may want to wear latex gloves,and push the grease into the joint,adding more with your fingers if needed.Add extra grease to the boot at the same end as the joint.

Put the boot back on the joint and use a large worm clamp to hold it in place.Make sure that there is enough clearance for the clamp to turn with the axle and not hit anything,it should be ok.

If you removed the small clamp/band,replace it with a new worm clamp too.

This trick should get you several more hundred,if not,thousands of miles from the joints.

This may sound like a big job but the hardest part is getting the original clamp/band off of the boot.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Some CVs use oil, not grease. MB CVs last about 30 years/250k miles with oil inside.

It's not just MB, and not just with oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
This is what you can do if you want to extend the joints life.Take the large band clamp,the one at the wheel end,off.It will have to be cut off.Push the boot back toward the trans. enough to be able to see the inside of the joint.

If the boot is stuck,you may have to cut off the small band clamp too.

Clean out the grease that is in the joint with brake cleaner.Spray the cleaner in the joint and boot.Get all of the grease out that you can.Check the boot for grease too and remove any in it.

Clean out the brake cleaner that may be left,make sure the joint and boot are as dry as possible before adding the new grease.

Take a grease needle and put grease up into the joint around the ball bearings,do this at each bearing.Fill them up as much as possible.

Take you fingers,you may want to wear latex gloves,and push the grease into the joint,adding more with your fingers if needed.Add extra grease to the boot at the same end as the joint.

Put the boot back on the joint and use a large worm clamp to hold it in place.Make sure that there is enough clearance for the clamp to turn with the axle and not hit anything,it should be ok.

If you removed the small clamp/band,replace it with a new worm clamp too.

This trick should get you several more hundred,if not,thousands of miles from the joints.

This may sound like a big job but the hardest part is getting the original clamp/band off of the boot.
Sounds reasonable. I'll take one boot loose and take a look. Thanks. John--Las Vegas.

The old quick test for bad C/V joints is to make very slow and very sharp turns. Go both ways and listen for clicking/popping.

If there is no evidence of grease coming out, I'd leave them alone.
You can certainly clean and regrease them if you want to dive in. It will take a lot longer than you think. And many clamps require a special tool to tighten them properly.

I have done the re-grease of a CV joint,it isnt as hard as some may say.It takes time but it isnt hard.

You can use a regular worm drive clamp that you can get at any hardware store as long as it will clear everything.

I have used a regular clamp and never had any problems with them.I think I have a couple on a car right now,they have been on their for years and have caused no problems at all.

Make sure that the clamp is snug but not tight enough to cut into the boot.

Screw clamps often don't fit right - they overlap. Their sharp edges cause cuts and accelerated wear.
Believe me, I've tried about everything. If you can get stock ones, please use them.

Yes, I took one boot back on the joints. Looked pretty good to me. I made those hard right and left turns which seemed to help a bit. I'm going to keep driving her. Thanks for the comments. John--Las Vegas.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Screw clamps often don't fit right - they overlap. Their sharp edges cause cuts and accelerated wear.
Believe me, I've tried about everything. If you can get stock ones, please use them.

I have used the worm drive/band clamps and have never had any problems with them and that was with thousands of miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back