What is best Motorcraft alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Mobil Clean 5000 is good/cheap,although it's not a syn-blend.

Mobil Clean 5000 is obsolete. Its now Mobil Super 5000 and it IS a syn-blend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'm a fan of Motorcraft lubricants myself, and I think they are excellent value for money - especially considering it is a Group II/III mix.

Quite a few suggestions have been made here, including CP's other products such as Kendall. If I were in your shoes, and wanted to go with a conventional or synthetic blend, I would go for Pennzoil Yellow Bottle.
thumbsup2.gif

+1 You can't go wrong with PYB. Great Oil.

Every once in a while Shevron Supreme goes on sale at AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc. I believe it is once per calendar year event. Last time it was $1.99 per quart. I would stash up big time, if I were a non-syn user. That dyno oil can give a solid run on the money to many so called syn products out there.
Or, instead of chasing the deals, stop by a local Chevron distributor (e.g. Carson oil in PDX) and get a few cases of it and then add more when sales hit your market.

"I consider CP's Motorcraft 5W20 to be a 'gold standard' for syn blends of that viscosity."

I agree. It is the only oil I always have on the shelf. If I was a quart down in any other car with any other oil I would not hesitate to use it. It is my Ford Expedition's oil.

Still, all the brand name synthetic blend oils are probably close.

aehaas

Hallmark)My local Walmart usually only displays 1-2 jugs of the Motorcraft. Today said:
I returned to the same Walmart today to purchase two of the MC 5W20 jugs (restocked). Despite assurances by an employee during the earlier visit(above post)that the tampered-with jug would be removed from the shelf, it was still there.

Hopefully, to alert other customers/discourage purchase, I removed the cap from the jug (thereby exposing the previously opened foil) and disposed of it.

Come and prosecute me Walmart!

I just started using chevron supreme 5w30 SN for my 2006 toyota camry v6.. Excellent Oil. I get great gas mileage..
If you can get chevron supreme for $2 a quart, you should buy it.

Costco sell for $2.33 a quart ( chevron Supreme).

I can't find chevron 5w20 grade. I want to use it on my honda pilot...

In my opinion, Synthetic are not worth it.. I rather use dino and change oil every 4000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
...instead of chasing the deals, stop by a local Chevron distributor (e.g. Carson oil in PDX) and get a few cases of it and then add more when sales hit your market.

Sounds like you may be in the Vancouver WA area. At any rate, I agree that Chevron Supreme may be one of the best conventional oils in the market...I use their 10W30 in one of my vehicles. I wish a 5W20 was available for another of my stable when Costco does their semiannual $7.00-off coupon.

Fram oil?!?!???

Hmmm.. I have never seen that - but certainly a perfect match for the OCOD !!!

The local Rural King sells Fram full Synthetic oil for $5.49. It's available in 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30.

I believe after my case of Mobil Clean 5000 is gone, I'll try Havoline DS 5W-20. (From my understanding same as Chevron Supreme.) Looks to be a great oil w/a good amount of Moly just like the older MC 5000. (I'm not sure yet of the newer SN version of Mobil Clean 5000.) I still have 4 jugs of Motorcraft 5W-20 oil left as well...holy moly, since joing this site I never had oil in such supply.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: moto94536
do you need lincense to buy oil from local chevron distributor?? any minimum purchase??
You can just go in and buy the product. Some oil jobbers sell by the qt some by the case. Look them up in the phone book and ask them.

I also concur that Conoco-Philips/Motorcraft make top notch stuff and I've good experiences running it in my mother's Taurus. Right now, I have the full syn MC 5W-20 in it. But from what I've read, most if not, all 5W-20's are syn blends or otherwise excellent Group II+ base oils. So any major name brand oil will do as well. I haven't checked in a while, but I think my mother's car is due around summer at which time I'll probably throw in Mobil Super High Mileage as it's also a(n) (unadvertised) syn blend, but still meets fuel economy criteria. And her car sometimes has some slight seepage of oil and "uses" a bit...

Originally Posted By: moto94536
do you need lincense to buy oil from local chevron distributor?? any minimum purchase??

No.

I was picking up some Supertech ATF at the Renton store for a friend of mine and they had a bunch of SN Motorcraft 5W20. Don't know if that's close to you, but I figured I'd through it out there.

The Renton store is pretty awesome-you can park near the quick lube and enter and exit through there, without setting foot in the rest of the store! And you can park right near the door.

Ok. I sent e mails to chevron distributor which I obtained from chevron website. I will let you know when they reply back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back