PCV valve cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you use to clean a PCV valve, MAF sensor cleaner or throttle body cleaner?

The PCV valve has 25k on it. I haven't taken it out yet, but plan to later today to see if it is clogged or not. I had a intake manifold gasket issue, so I'm wondering about the valve. If it seems OK, I figure I might as well clean it while it is out. If it seems plugged a bit then I'll replace it.

Carb cleaner or whatever you have that will dissolve carbon will work just fine.

That is low mileage for a PCV valve. Unless something is very VERY wrong then I would clean it and put it back into place. If it looks perfect, I might just give it a quick spray let it dry, then put it back.

MAF sensor cleaner is pretty weak. Of the two throttle body cleaner.

Really though, how about swishing it around in a cup of mineral spirits?

MAF units require special cleaner, at least there is a special product made. Not sure if the chemicals or components are different.

The other stuff, Id use throttle body cleaner of whatever is the best value.

Carb cleaner works great always use that to clean them,take the straw of the can nozzle and insert into valve and really get into the spring and valve,then shake out real good,will be good to go.

I'm with JHZR2 on this one RE: special MAF sensor cleaner spray.

I'd opt for specific spray to do a specific job. MAF sensor is definitly one of them.

Q.

How much is a new valve? I just ordered one from the dealer for a Prius and it was only $7, so it doesn't seem worthwhile to bother with cleaning.

Cleaning PCV valves.....????
If you're going to take it out to clean it, well, it's already out.

But OEM will generally cost somewhere between 7-20 and not all after markets behave exactly like the OEM

I used some throttle body cleaner on it. It seemed OK, but I cleaned it out anyway. I have a Wells aftermarket on hand I got for $5 from Rock Auto, but will save it. The OEM that is in there now is about $12.

Originally Posted By: Rix
Cleaning PCV valves.....????
If you're going to take it out to clean it, well, it's already out.

^^^That's the way I feel about spark plugs, especially since it is unholy torture to do a plug change on my car.
wink.gif

MAF cleaner would be your safest bet, and would work fine. It doesn't leave any reside, dries quickly and is plastic safe, should your PCV have any plastic parts.

As far as re-using it versus buying a new one, it depends on the design, IMO. If the PCV isn't damaged upon removal and is metal, I can't for the life of me see the point of replacing it "just because", even if it's $.99. You're still wasting stuff unnecessarily. If it's plastic and in a hot location, I could see dumping it at 100K. No way I'd throw it away at 25K, unless removing it breaks an installation tab.

PCV funnels the crankcase vapors through it. I don't see how it will get damaged by TB cleaner and/or brake cleaner. I see no need to use expensive MAF cleaner for it.

The difference between spark plug and PCV valve is that OEM spark plugs are routinely available all over and cleaning or regapping platinum (or iridium) plugs is not advisable.

On some vehicles, the build quality of after market PCV vs OEM is so much different that I would put the old one back after cleaning it.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back