puralator (Pure one) vs. napa gold (wix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the better filter in general ?

I went from K&N to the (gold) puralator when K&N's prices shot through the roof, but I'm thinking of going to the NAPA golds.

I don't do any "hard" driving these days or hard offroading, just basically daily driver stuff, with no extreme temps here in PA

So again,
what filter is generaly a better made filter ?
or better for my application ?

4.0 and the 5.2 are the motors in question.

puralator- PL14670
NAPA gold- FIL 1085

If you are not doing any hard driving, off road or otherwise, then any quality filter you choose will last you for at least a normal OCI (5000-6000 miles easy).

No reason to pay for a premium filter unless you begin to do really really long OCI's with premium synthetics. I'd put this at 15,000-20,000 miles.

In my opinion a well made well fitting Air Filter is more important than a oil filter, but that is only on a well maintained engine.

BTW, I run Motorcraft filters on my 2 fords (inexpensive at China Mart), and I run a Napa Gold on my Nissan.

I would prefer the NAPA gold over purolator, seems to have a better construction, albeit, both are fine. I actually use Baldwin filters because of the racy red color andthey are as high of quality as NAPA gold, which is a Wix.

I like the Napa Golds better, they're prettier
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
P1s are so much cheaper at AAP + Purolator's rebates than NAPA Gold, which is never under $5, even on sale-sounds like an easy choice to me.

thats complete oposite of the truth in my area, AAP has the pure-ones for 6.50-7 and nappa golds are 6 flat, ive never seen the gold puralator on sale either unless it's paired up with some kind of dinno oil.

Give you an example-the SB Chevy/6.2/6.5 diesel ones are normally $5.23-40% with a $50 order, and there is a $3 rebate on them as well (limit 4)=under $1 each. Unfortunately some of the P1s are higher.

anybody know the science of the two (not sure how to explain my question),
are there any facts out there that would what filter works better or is of better quality.

IMO...You could also continure to use the K&N filter on your vehicle. Cost should not be a primary consideration since they are still reasonable.

They are so well made that you can keep the one filter on for a couple of OCIs as long as your engine is clean. You can get these K&N on Oil Change Specials at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. So cost should not be a factor.

I've also used both the NAPA Gold and the Pure One Filters and both are also outstanding filters.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
anybody know the science of the two (not sure how to explain my question), are there any facts out there that would what filter works better or is of better quality.

Of course ... there is data that shows the PureOne has a better filtering efficiency than the WIX/NAPA Gold.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: wsar10
anybody know the science of the two (not sure how to explain my question), are there any facts out there that would what filter works better or is of better quality.

Of course ... there is data that shows the PureOne has a better filtering efficiency than the WIX/NAPA Gold.

where can I find that ?

PureOnes state it right on the box, and Wix's internet website has a different efficiency rating listed for each filter

Last edited:
PureOne is rated at 99.9 @ 20 microns. WIX/NAPA Gold is more like 90~95% @ 20~30 microns. As was said above, the beta ratio listings for WIX vary, but in general the efficiency is worse than the PureOne claim.

Get the cheaper one. We're talking about the 4.0 and 5.2. Both pretty much bullet proof designs.

Heck I ran the [censored] orange can Frams in my 4.0 for 50K before I knew better. The thing is closing in on 200K without any consumption.

Wix was my preferred brand before discovering BITOG. Then I learned about the P1. I can get them cheaper and the advertised efficiency rating is better. A win-win in my book.

I don't worry about an extra couple dollars for an oil filter, it's not that frequent of a purchase. I will stay with the Balwin for the hot looking red can. I get my Balwins for about 4-5 dollars apiece. As far as filtering efficiency, I don't think the difference mentioned above, though significant on paper, is significant in the real world.

Am copying and pasting my post from a thread last month:

I just had an interesting experience with a Napa Gold. As I spun the filter on - the gasket contacted normally - but before I could feel the gasket compress fully, it started to feel as if there was metal contact. I unscrewed and screwed on several times to be sure - but still didn't feel good about over tightening. I have not experienced removing an over tightened filter - and based on friends who have - I don't want to.

So I tightened just to the point of beginning to feel the metal contact - thinking that perhaps the gasket was just a little thin. A couple days later I was at work and we had had some rain. As I walked out to the car I could see that someone's car had lost some fluid - but couldn't tell for sure whose. So I checked the oil and sure enough it was down about a 1/4" on the dipstick. I bent down on the ground and it did appear to be coming from the filter area.

When I got the car home that I evening it dropped several spots of oil as I was jockeying it to get it on the ramps. Changed the filter to a P1 didn't even look the Napa over other than the gasket seemed fine - as I wa so PO'd. Added 3/4 quart and haven't dropped a drop since.

Not sure if the metal contact I was feeling was the cannister or the mounting plate. I've used Napa's many times before with no issues - so not sure what happened here. I didn't even take it back.

Anyone had any similar experiences??

In my application the Napa Gold has the bypass on the inlet whereas the P1 is in the dome end. Unsure if that makes a difference but though made by Wix, it differs from Wix and I think it is a better design. Filtering capacity for either should be sufficient for a 5K interval. The P1 has a higher bypass pressure setting.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back