lifter noise on 2001 Jeep GC 4.0 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine has about 95K on it and I have used PP for several changes now, usually at 8K. The lifter tapping/ticking noise is most noticeable at startup but if one gets out to get the mail its noticeable with the engine warmed up.

Solutions:
1) Flush with Amsoil flush, continue with PP and 8K changes
2) Cut the interval down to 5K
3) Do an Auto-Rx cleaning and then go back to PP and 8K changes

Other ideas, besides turning up radio louder?

Before U do any above, with I think dont really nessary. Wat oil filter do u you ? some time your injector making the ticking noise, same as lifter ticking noise.

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56
Before U do any above, with I think dont really nessary. Wat oil filter do u you ? some time your injector making the ticking noise, same as lifter ticking noise.

The filter is an Amsoil Ea42.

Give GC 0w30 a try with any quality filter, pure 1, mobil 1, wix.... that GC 0w30 is known for quiet down tapping sound LS1 engine make. Mabe it work on you too. I dont beleive in engine flush or auto rx, as long you use good quality oil and filter, you good to go, but try that GC oil out first.

It might be cracked exhaust manifold. It sounds exactly like lifters ticking and gets louder when you step on it. It's an issue with 4.0 motors. I'd hate to see you waste time and money dumping and switching oil brands and grades.

Either way, it's nothing you really need to worry about. Just turn up the radio.

So lifter, injector or exhaust manifold, nothing to worry about? I do need to change the oil as long as it stays warm. I have some Amsoil flush that I may just use anyway. Its old stash.

may seem odd, but try adding a few oz of a syn 5-20 to the crank case. a cup or so.

In my 93 4.0, i tried, HM oils, Rotella, Rotella T, all made noise. Thing was, if I added just small amount of syn 5-20, it cut the noise in half.

Oil flushes, seafoam treatments, scraping the 1/2 of sludge out of the valve area, made no difference. But the syn 5-20 did, every time.

M

Originally Posted By: meep
may seem odd, but try adding a few oz of a syn 5-20 to the crank case. a cup or so.

In my 93 4.0, i tried, HM oils, Rotella, Rotella T, all made noise. Thing was, if I added just small amount of syn 5-20, it cut the noise in half.

Oil flushes, seafoam treatments, scraping the 1/2 of sludge out of the valve area, made no difference. But the syn 5-20 did, every time.

M

You might be on to something here. A lot of people suggest using 40 weight oils in the 4.0L. In my 2000 the valvetrain seems kinda loud a certain RPMs. Not on startup but I do get ticking most of the time. Seems when I use Marvel Mystery Oil the ticking gets quieter. What weight oil did you mix the 5w20 with?

Two different mechanics said it was in the lower part of the engine, as in a piston skirt or wrist pin. Yikes. The engine is suppose to be bullet proof.

Last edited:
I believe we've had a few threads on the 4.0's over the years making a little noise here and there but running for gobs of miles..

..or was that the 2.5? hehe I can't remember.

Does it do it at all RPMs?

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
I believe we've had a few threads on the 4.0's over the years making a little noise here and there but running for gobs of miles..

..or was that the 2.5? hehe I can't remember.

Does it do it at all RPMs?

The noise is louder when under load. Almost quiet when under a light load. Very noticeable when you get out to get the mail and walk around front of Jeep.

Last edited:
I brought the Jeep today to a place that rebuilds engines. The owner came out to look at it (or actually hear). He felt something in the valve train was going bad, like a rocker arm or a valve had "tuliped". He felt the ticking noise was at a slower speed (like that of the cam) than the speed of the crankshaft.

Well my Jeep's engine died last night. No real odd noise or bang, just lost all power. Trying to re-start it the lights dim a lot but nothing happens. As if a piston is seized or jammed. The Jeep did not overheat according to the temp gauge (normal).

Luckily it died maybe 500' from my house. I was going to wait until I go on vacation (Thur) to have it looked at. All in all it died at a good place & time.

Rock Auto does sell heads and long blocks, they are listed as Marshall reman. Anyone every heard of Marshall with respect to re-manufacturing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back