Dex III recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

A friend of mine just picked up a '98 V70 (130K) with what I'm guessing is the original transmission fluid. It shifts just fine but I've convinced him to swap out the fluid. And since I used to have a V70, I'm getting roped into helping him...

I'm going to do a cooler line flush, which is super-easy on this car (and the recommended procedure), but I don't know a thing about Dex III fluids. I swapped mine to M1 ATF, but this guy is incredibly cheap. Anyone have any recommendations for a good, cheap, readily available ATF? Are all of the "Dex" fluids backwards compatible, i.e. will dex VI work in this car?

Thanks!

DexIII I believe has been superceded and combined with the MercIII specifications and rolled into DexMerc. It's usually the cheapest generic stuff on the shelf. Grab a bottle, flip it over, and verify that it meets those older specs.

If you think you're going to do this alot, Advance auto has a 5 gallon barrel of coastal Dex/mer for $55 minus $20 coupon PAYPAL or VISA when bought online and picked up locally.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you think you're going to do this alot, Advance auto has a 5 gallon barrel of coastal Dex/mer for $55 minus $20 coupon PAYPAL or VISA when bought online and picked up locally.

Man, I wish... I always see these sweet deals at AA, but unfortunately we don't have AA out here. I have O'Reilly's and Autozone both a short bike ride from my house though.

So does that mean MercV is also DexIII compatible? I have a Ford dealer locally that sells their fluids really cheap.

Wally World has a "MultiVehicle" ATF that is Dex/Merc compatible. I have used it in the past without issue.

I would highly recommend that he spring for a bottle of Lubegard Red after you guys replace all the fluid you can get to.
Order it online if you have to, in my opinion it is worth it.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

I would highly recommend that he spring for a bottle of Lubegard Red after you guys replace all the fluid you can get to.

it looks like I can get the Lubegard stuff at my local O'Reilly's. would it make sense to use their 10 minute flush before changing the fluid?

Cooler line flush on this is super easy. If you haven't found them already, visit IPD http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-P80/T...p-128-374-1051/ for their flush kit, that includes all the o-rings and clips for half what the dealer charges...

Any DEX III will work, including the DEX/MERC but I wouldn't go with the DEX VI. It's not needed.

You'll need about 14 QTS, my recommendation is to buy 4 GAL at WW...you don't want to get most of the way through the flush and then run short! No worries adding the lubeguard, but I wouldn't bother with the pre-flush additive, just go ahead and flush the fluid. Then do it again in 15K, then every 30K...this trans will last a long time with minimal service.

Consider adding a magnefine as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD

it looks like I can get the Lubegard stuff at my local O'Reilly's. would it make sense to use their 10 minute flush before changing the fluid?

NAPA has Lubegard too and at lower price. Since the ATF is 130k miles OE fluid I would use the Lubegard 10 minute ATF flush then do cooler line and add Lubegard Red when finish.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

NAPA has Lubegard too and at lower price. Since the ATF is 130k miles OE fluid I would use the Lubegard 10 minute ATF flush then do cooler line and add Lubegard Red when finish.

HTSS_TR have you used the Lubegard flush and what are your thoughts on it. I called tech at Lubegard and they said you are fine to drive 5-10 minutes on it prior to flushing. Instructions talk about running for 5-10 minutes with drive wheels up. FAQ mentions it ok if you leave a little in if you are doing a pan drop and not full flush, so it can't be too bad on the transmission that a load on the engine with cause problems?

Oh, and LubeGard Red is $9.99 at O'Reillys. Find it on the website and if you click the store link you can find the locations that carry it in store, which is not all the stores.

So does that mean MercV is also DexIII compatible? I have a Ford dealer locally that sells their fluids really cheap.
Nope. The Aisin-Warner transmission in this car, if it calls for Dexron-III, needs just that. Or is it a later V70 that uses 3309 ATF? If it calls for the Volvo branded stuff, it doesn't want Dexron-III, it wants any of the 3309 stuff. Look for an ATF labeled as suitable for use where Toyota T-IV is required, also a 3309 ATF. Any name brand will do a fine job, certainly much better than the old, tired fluid he has now. You will find some near-universal fluids that list many applications including Dexron-III, Mercon, T-IV, and others. These will work well.

the 98 would have the Aisin-Warner 4-speed which calls for DexIII. I've used the "multivehicle ATF" from castrol as well as the in-house brand from AAP with great results. I just did a flush yesterday on a '98 S70 with the same transmission, it took 12 quarts before the fluid coming out was pink again.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Nope. The Aisin-Warner transmission in this car, if it calls for Dexron-III, needs just that. Or is it a later V70 that uses 3309 ATF? If it calls for the Volvo branded stuff, it doesn't want Dexron-III, it wants any of the 3309 stuff. Look for an ATF labeled as suitable for use where Toyota T-IV is required, also a 3309 ATF. Any name brand will do a fine job, certainly much better than the old, tired fluid he has now. You will find some near-universal fluids that list many applications including Dexron-III, Mercon, T-IV, and others. These will work well.

Mercon V meets DexIII specs and it works great in the Aisin units.

Thanks for all of the responses! Yep, the '98's just used DexIII. It wasn't until the 5 speed, I believe, when the 3309 spec came into play.

Given that a)the dude is cheap, and b) the fluid in there is original, I'm pretty sure on going the Supertech route with a bottle of Lubegard red. I'm undecided on the flush, but I'm thinking "yes" to the Lubegard flush, as it seems pretty harmless. I figure whatever fluid we use, it has to be better than what's in there now.

I'll make sure to get at least 3 or 4 gallons to have enough on hand.

Anyone have any idea on who makes the ST tranny fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back