Torque pattern for transmission fluid pan gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I do trans pans I usually make something up similar to the star pattern when doing a tire. and torque them in a few steps. and then go one ofter the other all the way around again at the final torque to double check em.

overkill? probably

Does it make make feel good? yes

I just go around in about 4 or 5 steps roundy roundy. Never had a problem in 30 plus years working on cars. 7 of those years in auto shops.

It's not as critical as parts that are thicker and more critical for a real even torque.

There isnt one, far as I can tell. I looked it up under the Montana and it says this:
Code:

1. Install the oil pan gasket (25).

2. Install the oil pan (24). Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

3. Install the oil pan bolts (23). Tighten the oil pan bolts (23) to 14 Nm (10 ft. lbs.) .

4. Lower the vehicle. Notice: Do NOT overfill the transaxle. The overfilling of the transaxle causes foaming, loss of fluid, shift complaints, and possible damage to the transaxle.

5. Adjust the fluid level. Refer to the following information.

Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure

Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations.

Capacities - Approximate Fluid.

6. Inspect for fluid leaks.

Just do a cross pattern as best you can, it isnt too critical.

Exactly, there isn't really a torque pattern because the pan is too flexible and the torque level too low to matter. All that matters is that all of the bolts get tightened gradually and evenly to the torque spec. Although I still sometimes use a criss cross pattern.

Do go back and check, whatever you do, the first bolts done to 10 ft lbs will "loosen" as their neighbor bolts compress the pan gasket.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Do go back and check, whatever you do, the first bolts done to 10 ft lbs will "loosen" as their neighbor bolts compress the pan gasket.

+1

I do the criss-cross pattern and add a few drops of Threadlocker to a few of the bolts.... never had a problem.

what i thought was important, was to do the bolts in VERY SMALL increments say 5 inch pounds. my dad showed me to put a 3/8 ratchet between my index and middle finger. this reduced the torque you can aplay, and gives you more control on aliening to the bolt. imho i use permatex #2, it holds up to any thing. and it doesnt let the gasket move around like rtv. i dont like any locker in aluminum, i do use anti-seize compound, and DONT over tighen blots in aluminum.

Last edited:
another trick if you having problems with the gasket...

the higher quality gaskets are rubber with a slightly undersized bolt hole. That way you can thread a few bolts and it holds it nice and tight and all lined up.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
another trick if you having problems with the gasket...

the higher quality gaskets are rubber with a slightly undersized bolt hole. That way you can thread a few bolts and it holds it nice and tight and all lined up.

Yes those are the ones I like. Don't have to mess with any sealer. Or better yet the factory o-ring type of gasket.

I bought one for my Daughters Taurus that did not come from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back