Oil recommendation - 2007 Pontiac Vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 'new' (to me) 2007 Pontiac Vibe with 70k miles on it. It has a 1.8L (4 cyl) engine, the same that is found in the Toyota Matrix and many other Toyota vehicles.

I have no idea what type of oil this car has seen for most of its life, however it came from the dealer with a 5w30 blend (not sure on brand).

Pontiac indicates the engine likes 5w30 (GM6094M standard). However, Toyota has released a TSB indicating this engine (also found in the new Matrices) can also happily run 5w-20 or 0w-20. Interval is 5k or 3 months per the manual.

I live in WI, so I'm sure the weather will play a role in oil selection. I also currently drive 4 miles (round trip)to work four out of every six days. This is mixed with occasional 40-80 mile trips on some of my 'weekends'.

There are no known issues/problems with the car right now.

I'm not really partial to any brand/type or even weight at the moment, just looking for some suggestions before I need to dump the mystery oil that I'm currently running.

I had a Corolla with the same 1ZZ-FE engine. I tried Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and it was okay, but I didn't like it as much as good ol' Havoline 5W-30. I also ran PYB 5W-30 in it and liked it better than the PP 5W-20. I'd recommend 5W-30...and 5k mile OCIs on conventional oil is easy for that engine.

For a synthetic m1 0w 30 40c is 56 cst 100c is 10.56cst, takes care of cold starts. If you went 20 I might use mobil ep 5w 20 its a thicker 20wt. 40c is 50cst 100c is 9.0 cst.

Wow, this is weird. I live in Wisconsin too and bought an 07 Vibe with 72,xxx on it 1.5 months ago from an Eau Claire dealer. Being already familiar with the 1ZZ-FE (I own an 06 Corolla since new)I am using PYB 5w-30 during spring/summer/fall, and then will switch to Platinum, Edge, or another quality synthetic for winter.

Just got done replacing radiator fluid with Zerex Asian (9 bucks a gallon at Napa), drained and refilled auto transmission x 3 with T-IV & Lubegard RED, and slapped some Denso laser Iridium plugs for the heck of it. Previous owner bought the car new and used the vehicle 80% highway for bridge inspections all over the state, so the car is in great shape. Also going to replace the serpentine belt, cabin air filter, etc. this weekend sometime just to make sure it is done.

Great little car. Love the cargo tie down points all over the back and the cool electrical outlet in the dash.

*****Make sure you get the car into the GM dealer to check to see if your PCM is under recall. It takes about an hour, and is really something you should have checked. Google Vibe recall and you will see the recall notice****

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am aware of the PCM recall and have been planning to call/stop down, just haven't had the time yet.

That is kind of funny, does your Vibe happen to be Neptune (blue) too? Also seem to be on the same page for maintenance...I just replaced my plugs with NGK Iridiums, new air and cabin filter,new pcv valve and have plans to do the trans and coolant shortly. The dealer has zero maintenance history on this car - so I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and just do everything. First tank get 29 mpg mixed driving tho, much better than my old truck! With any hope a quality oil along with good driving habits and all this maintenance, my mpg will get even better.

Last edited:
I have been happily running Motorcraft 5w-20 in my 2008 Vibe. 5K mile OCI, and no issues to speak of. The 1zz-fe seems to not be super picky on oil weight. Enjoy your Vibe!!

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
If you want to use a blend, I would go with either Valvoline DuraBlend or Kendall, either 5w20 or 5w30.

+1

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Your 1.8 is not the same as the new Matrix or Vibe.

Correct: it's not the same 1.8L that's in the current Matrix, but it's the same 1.8L that's in the Matrix of his model year (2007), which is the 1ZZ-FE.

Beginning in the 2009 model year, and for all USDM-spec related platforms (Vibe, Matrix, Corolla), Toyota installed the 2ZR-FE engine, which was first used in 2007 in other vehicles worldwide. Besides being a clean-sheet design, one of the features distinguishing it from the ZZ engine is the dual VVT (rather than VVT on intake side only on the ZZ engine).

Originally Posted By: blindman10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am aware of the PCM recall and have been planning to call/stop down, just haven't had the time yet.

That is kind of funny, does your Vibe happen to be Neptune (blue) too? Also seem to be on the same page for maintenance...I just replaced my plugs with NGK Iridiums, new air and cabin filter,new pcv valve and have plans to do the trans and coolant shortly. The dealer has zero maintenance history on this car - so I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and just do everything. First tank get 29 mpg mixed driving tho, much better than my old truck! With any hope a quality oil along with good driving habits and all this maintenance, my mpg will get even better.

Mine is black with the painted black bumpers (some were gray non-painted bumpers). I have the new car sticker with it from the previous owner and the car sold for 19,850 back in 2007. I love buying used to let the original guy take the hit on the price and get the car for 40% of that price. I have been getting right at 28-29.5 if I drive about an 80% city 20% highway with an easy foot and around 35-37 on the highway with cruise on at 65mph. The only gas I purchase is non-ethanol gas as well.

I need to clarify, I used NGK laser iridums, not Denso as I previously posted. Although the old ones looked really good still when I looked at them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back