VW Factory Fill. 2011 Touareg 3.0 TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sample was taken at 5,452 miles on oil and engine and analyzed by Dyson Analysis. The explanation and analysis is proprietary, but the general comment was this is a normal report for a new engine with inadequate lubricant for an extended OCI. Terry recommended changing the oil which I did with Fuchs Titan GT-1 Longlife III 507.00 oil. I will test that oil at 10K when I do the dealer warranty change.

Code:
Iron 99

Copper 33

Tin 0

Lead 3

Chrom 4

Nickel 0

Alum 35

Titan 0

Silver 0

Calciu 1446

Magne 14

Zinc 934

Phos 829

Bariu 11

Molyb 14

Antim 0

Silic 60

Sodiu 14

Boron 2

Potas 10

Vana 0

V40C 71.0

V100C 12.4

Flash 410

OXID 17

NIT 9

KF 334

TBN 1.5

Fuel .107

Soot 0.09

Glycol 0

Vndx 175

Sulfate by-products 18

Sample too dark for TAN

Is fuel really only 0.107 ?

TBN almost depleted after only 5500 miles?

Is the factory fill also Fuchs?

Yes. 0.107

If it was a 507 oil then TBN started out at only around 5.5

I don't know if there is a definitive answer to who supplies the factory fill. There have been posts in the past that it's Fuchs, but Dyson is of the opinion it is a Castrol product.

I need to edit the original post to clarify that Dyson recommended an oil change.The Fuchs was my choice.

Originally Posted By: wensteph
Sample was taken at 5,452 miles on oil and engine and analyzed by Dyson Analysis. The explanation and analysis is proprietary, but the general comment was this is a normal report for a new engine with inadequate lubricant for an extended OCI. Terry recommended changing the oil which I did with Fuchs Titan GT-1 Longlife III 507.00 oil. I will test that oil at 10K when I do the dealer warranty change.

Code:
Iron 99

Copper 33

Tin 0

Lead 3

Chrom 4

Nickel 0

Alum 35

Titan 0

Silver 0

Calciu 1446

Magne 14

Zinc 934

Phos 829

Bariu 11

Molyb 14

Antim 0

Silic 60

Sodiu 14

Boron 2

Potas 10

Vana 0

V40C 71.0

V100C 12.4

Flash 410

OXID 17

NIT 9

KF 334

TBN 1.5

Fuel .107

Soot 0.09

Glycol 0

Vndx 175

Sulfate by-products 18

Sample too dark for TAN

We're missing some key info: How long did it take to rack up these 5,000 miles? What were the driving conditions? Driving style?

Picked up car Feb 5. Sample was taken April 4. I'm from the "break it in like you want it to run" school. Break in was spirited with no steady RPMs pretty much the same as the break in procedure thread on TDIClub. No towing. Since Savannah is not large, no stop and go driving in town and no long idling. Obviously a good amount of highway miles and those were fast, 75-85 mph. I've now got 6,850 and still don't use cruise control. All highway miles under 1,000 miles were half plus throttle to 80, coast to 60 and repeat. Pretty aggravating to ride with me.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: wensteph
Picked up car Feb 5. Sample was taken April 4. I'm from the "break it in like you want it to run" school. Break in was spirited with no steady RPMs pretty much the same as the break in procedure thread on TDIClub. No towing. Since Savannah is not large, no stop and go driving in town and no long idling. Obviously a good amount of highway miles and those were fast, 75-85 mph. I've now got 6,850 and still don't use cruise control. All highway miles under 1,000 miles were half plus throttle to 80, coast to 60 and repeat. Pretty aggravating to ride with me.
grin.gif

Given the low amount of fuel used (low hours for the miles) I'm surprised TBN is this low for only 5K miles. Should not be any forced regens with that driving style either.

Unless the 3.0 CR TDI uses a LOT more fuel than the 2.0 CR TDI, this is puzzling. (The 2.0 CRs go the full 10K miles before TBN gets to around 3)

The 507s seem to be weak sisters. I've got a 100,000 mile power train warranty and there is no way I'm going to use a 507.00 oil for 100,000 miles. Since I'm going to wander off the warranty reservation anyway, I'll do it next change. I'll leave the Fuchs in until 10K for a UOA reference on the brand.

The report is strange in that there are MANY ( a ton ) of UOAs on TDIClub that show, as Bob just mentioned, TBN retention to 10k.

Most of those owners just post their UOA and move on, but they do have them done and it offers a good solid overview of what to expect.

Now that being said, I do not think there are a TON of UOAs with this engine/model.

I am awaiting my JSW UOA report, it is also a short run as you did in that I dumped the FF at 4k and ran a 6k OCI that is being tested.
I normally have Terry do them but as this was just a 'wash out' I had OAI do the test.
If Terry were to have done my test, I would in fact press him on this issue of TBN as it does not seem right, again that is unless that engine is really just harder on that 507 oil.

I think the TBN retention is particularly poor in the SUV models because of increased fuel consumption, though they sometimes have bigger sumps.
But in general I do not trust these oils and have stopped using them.

Charlie

Probably TBN 1.5 is its level "forever" but not enough to drive like they recommend e.g. in Europe - even 20k miles...

m37charlie had the same TBN on this Castrol in 2 samples from X5 for 9 and 10 k miles.. probably it was 1.5 since ~4-5 k miles and increased wear while TAN was increasing - especially that Ca is very low and nothing instead of it in fact.

I wouldn't use any VW 507 oil which doesn't meet MB 229.51 (for better soot and sludge management), look at this and compare norms:
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RPTOOL2010Dep/rp/pc/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back