Toyota Factory Fill is pretty thick stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW1

I just took my 2011 Toyota Tundra in for it's first oil change. Despite preferring to do my own oil change, I've decided to use the free maintenance plan for the first 25K.

In the past, when I checked the oil, I thought the factory fill oil seemed a bit thick. But what can you tell by feel? It looked thick but again, that is a very subjective thing.

When I started the engine, the oil pressure gauge needle typically went to the 2nd notch (+) to the right of center. Once the engine warmed up, the needle typically hovered dead center. I also want to add that typically it was taking about 3 miles of slow driving before the engine warmed up.

Today I had the oil changed at Titus-Will Toyota. I asked what kind of oil they use and the Service Rep said they use Castrol 5W-20 blend. After it was complete, I pulled the dipstick before driving off and the oil looked and felt thinner. When I started the engine, it was much quieter. The oil pressure gauge needle went to dead center. After a mile, the engine was warm and the oil pressure gauge needle was at one notch to left (-).

I wish I had thought to take "before" pictures but had assumed that it had come with OW-20 oil. Now I'm not so sure. In that light, I kind of wish I had changed out the factory fill sooner. I'm also very interested to see if my mileage is impacted (for the better) because right now it really sucks (13-15 mpg).

Anyone care to share your thoughts?

well You can't really depend on dipstick whether the oil is dirty or not..

The oil on the dipstick may look clean, but when you drain it, it is way black...

Have we ever deduced if Toyota is using a break-in oil? Someone should pull a sample right as it rolls off the lot and check for extra moly and other AW additives.

I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if my dealer was using 5W-20. By the information in the owner's manual, you can use 5W-20, but the oil must be changed at the next maintenance interval (5,000 miles). Normally, the 0W-20's OCI is 10,000 miles. So make sure they change the oil again in 5,000 more miles.

The factory fill on my '11 Camry didn't seem thick, and mileage really hasn't changed much since new. I've averaged in the upper 20s with it (in town) since the day I drove it home.

There are two sections in the Tundra Owners Manual. One section is tabbed "Non-Synthetic Oil" and says it applies only to the 5.7L engine which is what I have. It specifies either 0W-20 or 5W-20 with a 5K OCI.

The "Synthetic Oil" section applies only to the 4.6L V8 and the 4.0 V6. It specifies only 0W-20 and a 10K OCI. If a 5W-20 oil is used, then the next oil change must be 0W-20.

I had assumed that factory fill was 0W-20 but am not so sure now. If anyone out there still has their factory fill in their 5.7L, perhaps you can offer an opinion? But I think it is a noticeable difference.

I wasn't too concerned about whether it was dirty or not. It actually looked surprisingly clean. I only have 2,500 miles on the truck so I'm changing early.

I was just commenting that the factory fill oil seemed so much thicker than the Castrol 5W-20 blend that the dealer put in.

My current plan when I do start doing my own changes is to use either Edge 5W-20 or Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: RW1
There are two sections in the Tundra Owners Manual. One section is tabbed "Non-Synthetic Oil" and says it applies only to the 5.7L engine which is what I have. It specifies either 0W-20 or 5W-20 with a 5K OCI.

The "Synthetic Oil" section applies only to the 4.6L V8 and the 4.0 V6. It specifies only 0W-20 and a 10K OCI. If a 5W-20 oil is used, then the next oil change must be 0W-20.

I had assumed that factory fill was 0W-20 but am not so sure now. If anyone out there still has their factory fill in their 5.7L, perhaps you can offer an opinion? But I think it is a noticeable difference.

Hey, thanks for the clarification on that. I didn't know that the 5.7L was not on the 0W-20 program yet. Interesting that the factory fill seemed so thick. Maybe a lot of assembly lube washed down into the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back