Thermostat Gasket....Sealant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to revisit this topic, but there seems to be no consensus about thermostat gaskets and sealant.

Some swear to use no sealant.

Others say absolutely no RTV with gasket (Permatex has a thermostat/water pump version).

Permatex #2 is mentioned a bit, along with a host of others.

Comments/opinions/experience for the shade tree mechanic? How does one make a decision??????

yes, I use permatex #2 for fibre based gasket.

I use nothing for rubber o-ring type gasket (like all Honda thermostats).

Q.

I used a paper Felpro gasket and a can of some Permatex spray on gasket sealant when I changed the t-stat on my truck. No problems after two years.

I think unless you are trying to cover up for a pitted housing or base that can't be easily replaced, it's best to not use RTV or gasket sealer and just use the paper gasket. Some applications used a RTV originally but usually the new thermostat will have a fiber gasket. With a rubber 0-ring seal you wouldn't use sealer of course.

For me it depends on the gasket.

If it's a good thick quality gasket, I usually don't use any sealant.

If it's a cheap, thin, porous gasket, I prefer a thin coat of Permatex #2 or anaerobic sealant (Locktite 504 or the like). But really just about any sort of gasket-goop will work. RTV, hi-tack, hylomar... they all work well enough. Just make sure you clean the gasket surfaces well and don't over-tighten the bolts, especially when using sealant... makes it much easier for a gasket to squish out.

+1 for Onion, couldn't say it better myself.

Thermostat gaskets have gotten a lot better; the o rings are fantastic and the big-hole-with-two-small-holes-180-degrees-apart ones are getting thicker and rubberier, making up for slight warpings of the always-poorly cast housing.

Except O-ring seals with PITA placement: some gorilla snot (3m weatherstrip adhesive) to hold gasket in place.

O-ring seal: no glue/rtv.

If a rubber o-ring, I'd just go with that style only.

I've used The Right Stuff for all my sealing needs, oil, coolant, gear oil, ect., not had a single failure in 12 years. I used it just recently on a 91 S10 with a 2.5L iron duke thermostat housing, running a 1/8" bead on a clean dry surface, no other gasket material. The engine is notorious for weeping with replacement fiber thermostat gaskets. 15,000 miles/9 months and completely dry. Right Stuff is not a silicone sealant, it's an elastomer-rubber compound.

Key, a good scrape with a razor & wipe with brake cleaner is what I use.

Last edited:
I can't take a chance on a leak.
So even with nice 'O' ring types, I generally use a light smear of RTV.
Old parts are not as nice as new ones.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I can't take a chance on a leak.
So even with nice 'O' ring types, I generally use a light smear of RTV.
Old parts are not as nice as new ones.

I agree. If the surfaces are in good condition, I don't put any sealant on o-ring type seals. But when dealing with old, corroded and/or low quality parts, a little gasket-goop will avoid problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back