Burning methanol inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lamps sold here in Japan, that take a mix of methanol and ethanol. We have looked at getting one just in case. But I was wondering if properly burned methanol fumes were safe.

Would the flame not be clear (invisible), not much use as a lamp?
I would guess it's the same as Sterno, you would have to burn an a great deal to be affected.

Burning stuff at ambient pressures and temperatures produces a lot less nasties than in an engine.

In an engine, pressure and temperature forces equilibrium compounds to form in concentrations way above those formed in ambient combustion.

Expat, that is the thing. I buy it for the car, but it is sold as lantern fuel. Just wondering if it was dangerous. I know the 40% concentration in windshield wiper fluid is definitely not clear burning.

Generally, methanol burned at room conditions with adequate oxygen should be fine. CO2 and H2O as mentioned. In a car engine, you can get the intermediate oxidation products....methanol CH3OH... to formaldehyde CH2O...to formic acid...CH2O2. It is the latter that can be a problem in cold engines and exhaust systemm with methanol in the fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back