Rotella T6 5W-40 Syn Honda VTR1000 Superhawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bike has 52,000 miles on it. I had been riding around town, likely my last ride of the year, with temps in the 30's(F) before I changed the oil. Being that the roads and my tires were really cold, I was pretty easy on it. My guess is the oil never got hot enough to evaporate any fuel out of it.

superhawk.jpg

wish you would have made it bigger.

3537 miles and with the exception of fuel at 3.3% i think this is a pretty good report.

alum is low
copper is low

the only ones to maybe watch would be the silicon and iron.
silicon seems a little high for a road bike.
the iron is at the most 3 ticks higher than i would like to see. but of no real concern.

interesting that the stoners dont have any background noise in this test. very odd.

i would probably test again in 12 - 15k miles.

steve

The top end of the motor was opened up to due a valve adjustment; cams came out, etc, during this OCI. Some dirt probably got in there for the silicon during that. I'm surprised it's as low as it is considering it was left open for a couple of days.

Last edited:
Fuel dilution probably affected the viscosity some...How much is difficult to tell...But the wear numbers look pretty good....TBN is still good.

you did all of that during the oci?

do NOT worry then!!!

i think that without the fuel you would have been at the very low end of in grade.

i see no reason to change anything at all!

I agree with sunruh looks very decent for 3500 mile. The analysis doesnt differentiate what was actually fuel and what shear, they lump it together.

But I would not run longer ocis, or you'll see more elevated detioration. When I tested my vfr on 5w40 rotella it was about 2% fuel dilution and dropped a full grade in 1100 miles. Motor back then had about 8,000 mile and that was immediately after a 5 hour run. My metal numbers and flash point were about identical to yours.

If me , id try the 15w40's, like an amsoil if you want to do longer oci. I know for a fact you can double the distance and get the same wear numbers

Last edited:
It looks like the wear metals are good but the viscosity dropped. Why are people harping on about shear stability? I'd be more concerned about actual wear rather than viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back