Can Synthetic Oils Sludge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if there are any conditions (shy of a 25K mile OCI) which could cause synthetic oils to sludge an engine ?

Sludge is basically the by products of combustion that get into solution- the oil. Use it long enough and the oil will break down and burn off only to leave behind a precipitate- sludge.

No Way. Group IV/V True synthetics are INVINCIBLE.

27.gif

Yes it can sludge up, this bmw sludge up bad, she say she been using bmw oil change. any oil can sludge up if u never change lol.

Sure.

Coolant in the oil and poor engine design.

The Chrysler 2.7 is a prime example.

Many people changed their oil as per the manual and still had sludge issues.

Originally Posted By: dparm
VW 1.8T motors too. Sludgers by 5k, nevermind the factory 10k OCI.

1.8T motors sludged because dealers (or owners) used mineral oil in them.

Yes even in a perfect engine. Leave the oil in too long and deplete the ad pack and you'll eventually get sludge. Even in the best of engines.

Here's my take on this. Today my wrench had to replace the valve cover on my wife's '00 Kia Sportage. It has 87k miles on it. We bought it with 10k on it. Have been using Mobil 1 ex p 10/30 in it, with the Purolator gold filter since we've had it. Driving conditions have ranged from 1/4 miles trips to , 7 mile a day rides. Alot of short hops. When I saw what under the valve cover looked like I was shocked.It only has the slightest varnish color on the head, absolutely no wear marks on the cam lobes.It looked like a car with less then 10k miles on it.Also the oil gets changed between 8-12k miles.I'm sold on that oil for protection, cleanliness, and low consumption. My guess is that motor gets up to operating temp quickly, and burns off any moisture that accumulates in the motor that would mix with oil and start the sludge process.,,

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Only Pennzoil...
27.gif

I heard that too...something about pennzoil and Quaker state. Stay away, my great great great grandfathers' last words were that they were made from candle wax
wink.gif

Any oil can sludge, coolant, clogged PCV, constant short trips.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Only Pennzoil...
27.gif

I heard that too...something about pennzoil and Quaker state. Stay away, my great great great grandfathers' last words were that they were made from candle wax
wink.gif

Any oil can sludge, coolant, clogged PCV, constant short trips.

u joking, dont bring this joke back again pls

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dparm
VW 1.8T motors too. Sludgers by 5k, nevermind the factory 10k OCI.

1.8T motors sludged because dealers (or owners) used mineral oil in them.
My friend has 03 1.8 GTI, chip tuned, more boost, cai and bla bla bla to many to remember, he drives car very hard, races it. More than 120k on the odo. No sludge, engine looks very clean thru filler hole, no oil burning ether, or any other issues related to engine.He used only Syntec oil, since 40k when he got it. Don't know what was there before. Probably same way, since car was already lightly modded when he got it.

Has there been any data showing that synthetic can resist breakdown longer (not forever) when exposed to coolant and/or water when compared to conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back