Redline Racing (Type F) ATF in a 2008 V6 Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm a guy that wants the sportiest qualities out of his baby, so I've upgrades the brakes, gotten a sway bar, intake, exhaust, uhp bridgestone tires, and I'm swapping back and forth between GC and M1 0w40, still deciding.

With that in mind, I have 17.5k pretty hard miles on the car, revving up to the redline everyday if not many times everyday.

(At 12k the Honda dealership did one drain and fill maybe?)This previous statement may be irrelevant, however, as I just took the ATF dipstick out of the car to check and discovered that although the fluid is still pink, it smells like used machine shop oil. There is no other word, it smells like a machine shop.

I've read that redline D4 works well in honda transmissions to firm up the shifts, but that the Type F (Racing) ATF firms it up even more, while still maintaining daily driveability.

Does anybody have a problem with Redline Racing ATF in a honda transmission?

There are no friction modifiers in Type F transmission fluid. I wouldn't put that in a modern street machine.

I would use Amsoil ATF in your Accord... love it in my Integra and I've heard other good testimonials of people using it in their Hondas.

If you are going to use Red Line, use the D4 only. The racing type-f will screw things up for you big time. The D4 is an excellent replacement for the Z1 factory stuff. And as stated, the Amsoil ATF is an excellent product also for this application. But NO RACING TYPE-F.

Didn't BuickGN have Type F RedLine in his Acura? IIRC he reported good firm shifts, as his Acura has DBW which closes the throttle during shifts.

Personally, I hate Honda Z-1 ATF but I know many feel they must use it for warranty and/or goodwill possibilities. I have seen this fluid toasted in fewer miles than the Honda recommended ATF change intervals. I think a small factor in the Honda tranny failures is the Z-1 fluid with the main factor being poor design, poor filtration and lack of proper ATF cooling.

I am currently using Amsoil Universal ATF on my Honda and have been very impressed. I have also heard excellent things about Redline D4 ATF. I would not go with their racing type F - you will need a new tranny fast if you go that route...just my opinion.

Just for the need of personal venting...I hate Honda Z-1 ATF more than my ex-wife.

Last edited:
I had a mix of 4 quarts of Red Line Racing Type-F and 2 quarts of Lighteight Type-F in my Fit! It worked great!! It always felt like the stock oil was making my transmission slip like crazy but not with the Red line!! Shifts were firmer but not harsh at all and 50 000km later, the tranny is still fine. The reason why it's not in it anymore is because of a ATF Cooler line failure.... I loved it!

Marko!

FWIW, ive read several posts on acura TL forums that spec Z-1 fluid. They have used both D4 and type F fluids from redline and all say that redline firms up the shifts and works great. They say the type F fluid works best, and the D4 is still a great step up from Z1

Originally Posted By: DaddyBlogger
Personally, I hate Honda Z-1 ATF but I know many feel they must use it for warranty and/or goodwill possibilities. I have seen this fluid toasted in fewer miles than the Honda recommended ATF change intervals. I think a small factor in the Honda tranny failures is the Z-1 fluid with the main factor being poor design, poor filtration and lack of proper ATF cooling.

I am currently using Amsoil Universal ATF on my Honda and have been very impressed. I have also heard excellent things about Redline D4 ATF. I would not go with their racing type F - you will need a new tranny fast if you go that route...just my opinion.

Just for the need of personal venting...I hate Honda Z-1 ATF more than my ex-wife.

Aside from the Z1 turning dark, there is no proof that the fluid is the primary culprit for all of the transmission failures.

I just spoke with a Redline rep, and he says to use the D4 fluid because of the lack of friction modifiers in the type F fluid. He says that this could cause serious problems with torque converter lockup and could send the transmission into limp mode.

Originally Posted By: jtaylor
Really...I'm actually already using the Type F. Only good things to say. No issues at all. Transmission is smooth and fast.

How is torque converter lockup? Is it rough at all? How long have you been using the fluid?

did you try using the D4 fluid at all? I am tempted to try the type F but based on what the redline tech guy said i am really leaning toward the D4 now.

Last edited:
Why not try a 50/50 mix of D4 and the Racing ATF? If you like the reduced friction modifiers you can go to straight Racing ATF next time.
21.gif

my concern is that i do not want to cause damage to the transmission.

What I'm doing in my Jeep to firm things up a bit (until I shift kit the thing) is slowly swapping some of the ATF+4 for Type F until I get firm enough and am happy with how it feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back