switch to Philips Xtreme Vision H4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car (a '97 subaru) is spec'd for H2b/9003. I'm currently using Silverstar Ultra's (which are a major improvement of standard bulbs) but I'm due to replace them so am considering using Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs. My questions are:#1 does anyone know of a BETTER bulb for visibility without changing my wiring? My goal is to avoid running over animals (pedestrians should know better than to step in front of a moving vehicle). #2 is it correct to use the H4? This does not come in an H2b/9003 that I know of.
Thanks!

Hey, cant help you on the technical aspect of this, but I have those bulbs in my nissan, I love them! Huge improvement over stock factory bulbs, atleast 50-60% better, a bit more pricey, but they last a long time.

No idea about the Philips, but I've had the Silverstars in a couple cars, and loved them. Why change them? Do you not like them?

I like the Silverstars. The current ones need to be replaced because they are getting dim because they are old. There is a lot of talk on this board and other boards that silverstars underperform due to the blue tint and some engineering issues which I do not really understand. The Xtreme Vision are newer (so maybe better??) and clear so no light is lost due to blue tint. They claim "100%" more light, while the Siliverstar Ultra claim 50% brighter. Take those with a grain of salt, of course.

I believe Candlepower, in Rockville MD on the i-net, have a special on the Phillips for $32? a pair this month.They have many other interesting bulbs as well, just not the 120w Korean wire burners. As to naming, I think h-4 is the common international / Euro name, the others are US DOT names because we fought using the H-4 bulbs for so many years that we had to call them something else to save face. Not 100% sure, but 95%.There may be some very minor difference to show that our officials were working, not sleeping.

Originally Posted By: joaks
I like the Silverstars. The current ones need to be replaced because they are getting dim because they are old. There is a lot of talk on this board and other boards that silverstars underperform due to the blue tint and some engineering issues which I do not really understand. The Xtreme Vision are newer (so maybe better??) and clear so no light is lost due to blue tint. They claim "100%" more light, while the Siliverstar Ultra claim 50% brighter. Take those with a grain of salt, of course.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

H4 is 9003. Some bulbs are homologated with both standards.

We had the Xtreme Power H4's in the Fit for a while. They were very nice, while they lasted. One burned out after a year. IIRC the other is still going. The plain-Jane H4 bulb we had laying around puts out almost as much light as the Philips. I can't tell which is which from behind the wheel anymore.

Adjusting our headlights properly in the vertical plane (horizontal is fixed on the Fit) helped far more than the Philips bulbs did. The headlights and foglights were aimed into the ground from the factory.

I have the Phillips Extreme Visions (9005) as High Beams for my '88 Cutlass (9006 Phillips Night Guides as low beams) and like the Extremes very much. Night Guides as well.

So the bulbs came in andwhen compared to my old silverstars there is a big difference, at least with the low beams. There seems to better lighting to the sides in particular which seems to be impossible (I think that would be a function of reflector design .

Thought I should share at least :)

Osram 70w/65w H4 bulbs put out more light than Philips, and most cars can handle the small extra juice (I would think--mine does). Candlepower has them, I have them in my truck, I like them.

How many months on your Osram? I don't mind paying for them but from all indication they barely make it between 6 to 9 months before needing replacement.

Originally Posted By: joaks
So the bulbs came in andwhen compared to my old silverstars there is a big difference, at least with the low beams. There seems to better lighting to the sides in particular which seems to be impossible (I think that would be a function of reflector design .

Thought I should share at least :)

Where's the best place to buy these?

I'm pretty happy with the Xtreme Vision H4s on my Miata. Noticeable improvement from the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs the reflectors came with. Amazon had them pretty cheap with a rebate a couple months ago.

EDIT: Looking back at my Amazon account it turns out I lied. I have the Xtreme Power, which are different from the Xtreme Vision bulbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bearda
I'm pretty happy with the Xtreme Vision H4s on my Miata. Noticeable improvement from the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs the reflectors came with. Amazon had them pretty cheap with a rebate a couple months ago.

EDIT: Looking back at my Amazon account it turns out I lied. I have the Xtreme Power, which are different from the Xtreme Vision bulbs.

That would certainly explain the noticeable improvement. The Xtreme Power is currently the highest lumen output bulb in the category.

Originally Posted By: Scooby
My car takes the 9006. Can these bulbs be adapted for that housing?

You can get the Xtreme Power in 9006.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How many months on your Osram? I don't mind paying for them but from all indication they barely make it between 6 to 9 months before needing replacement.

I've had them since November or December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back