Honda Accord acceleration "whine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all.
I have a 96 Accord that I bought about a month ago. Before I even started driving it I had the Timing Belt changed. Car runs and shifts great. But there is this kind of "whine" sound as it accelerates. It whines according with the engine RPMs.
Anyone have any ideas? Pulleys? Tensioners?

Thanks all.

Inlaws' 02 accord had its AT fail at 38k. This is USVI hill use.

The AT in there whines. It is kind of annoying. Its not just you, though I dont know why this happens...

I don't know about the older Accords. But with newer Accords and Odysseys- particular V6 models- a transmission whine usually indicates eminent failure.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Power steering pump perhaps. My 2001 Civic whined from new until 227k. It's not the transmission.

The accord whines from the AT, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Power steering pump perhaps. My 2001 Civic whined from new until 227k. It's not the transmission.

The accord whines from the AT, that's for sure.

+1 My 2010 Accord did it from day one, definitely the tranny, got rid of it to get the Civic Hybrid. Much better running vehicle IMO especially for being only like 112hp or so.

Originally Posted By: onion
I don't know about the older Accords. But with newer Accords and Odysseys- particular V6 models- a transmission whine usually indicates eminent failure.

Yep, that's what happened to with my '01 Civic. It almost sounded like a quiet supercharger. I never could figure out what it was, so I just drove it, shortly after the trans went out.

It may have been the front pump of the transmission making noise, if the noise varied with engine speed and the noise really was coming from the transmission.

I've complained to the dealer about my A/T whine in my 07 accord for some time now. Its the differential mostly, but in some cases i feel that the pump is making noise. Dealer has played games saying "its not bad enough", "you may get another one very similar to the one you have". They even tried to tell me that whine noise was from the belt.

Needless to say, i will never go back to that dealer. I told them to put it together and have it ready for me.

But as far as whine, its somewhat normal. Honda A/T's have some noisy units out there. and a side note, it shifts well other than the whining.

If you Google 'Honda Automatic transmission problems' you will see that a whine is one of the symptoms of a transmission about to go . They usually go out from 70k to 120k. It's not normal, according to this info.

If you Google 'Honda Automatic transmission problems' you will see that a whine is one of the symptoms of a transmission about to go . They usually go out from 70k to 120k. It's not normal, according to this info.

One more reason to drive a 5 speed. They only whine in reverse.
smile.gif

There's nothing wrong with it. Honda ServiceNews said a while back that the whine is normal and some units will whine more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back