Dorman lug nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one lug nut get stripped so I ordred one from the dealer for $10. It was the right design but too long. I'm thinking of just replacing all of them so they all match and look good, but obviously not with the OEM.

I've found Dorman on Rock Auto. Says they are stainless steel. Anyone have any experience with lugs from Dorman? Most important it them not rusting since they are on alloy wheels and not covered by hub caps.

The coolant bottle I bought from Rock Auto said made in China and leaked at the seam. This was 5 years ago, but that doesn't mean the lugs nuts can't be OK. Give them a shot.

Just visit your local Discount Tire. They sell lug nuts. I've run theirs for years with no problems. I think a box of locking nuts with key is like
The threads sometimes develop a little bit of surface rust but I just take a wire brush to them whenever I'm swapping winter/summer wheels out.

I've had no trouble with the three Dorman lug nuts that went on as replacements for some bad ones two winters ago. No issues with rusting yet after two MN salt crusted winters...

I had one disintegrate when I used it to pull a stud through on a Caravan last year. Kinda made me think twice about using them.

You can usually get a set on ebay for your specific vehicle for cheap.

I just picked up 20 lug nuts for $14.95 shipped for my mazda 3. Ordered on a Wednesday and got them Friday... worked great.

I use only genuine OEM lug nuts. You can often find sets on eBay. I've three times used "nice" aftermarket ones from the EZAccessory site, but all three times, they rusted after only a year (and I live in the south).

So it's only OEM for me.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
I have heard good things about McGard Lug nuts

^^^These are all I'll ever use (in black chrome finish).

Cost more, but worth every penny!
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I also endorse the McGard suggestion. I last bought a set in 2008; at that point, they were still made in the USA. They are very good.

I have also used "two-piece" Dorman lug nuts (that is, a standard yellow steel lug nut with a thin sheetmetal cover stamped onto it). They were pretty good. The chromed one-piece lug nuts are from China and look pretty sketchy. I have avoided them.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
I also endorse the McGard suggestion. I last bought a set in 2008; at that point, they were still made in the USA. They are very good.

I have also used "two-piece" Dorman lug nuts (that is, a standard yellow steel lug nut with a thin sheetmetal cover stamped onto it). They were pretty good. The chromed one-piece lug nuts are from China and look pretty sketchy. I have avoided them.

I've used those as well and it was not a good outcome (Doorman two piece). After one winter two of them had rusted horribly. One was so bad that the outer casing was falling apart. This wasn't just a cosmetic issue since when the outer casing fell apart it left a non-standard sized lugnut behind that no socket (metric or standard) would properly fit.

I ended up ruining a (thankfully cheap) socket getting it off. Ended up taking a socket that was just wee too small but sort of fit and pounding it onto the lugnut with a hand sledge so I could get the nut off the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back